Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for any answers and I realize this is only relates to me but I’ve been reading everyone elses high’s and low’s so I thought I’d join in. (Sorry if it drags on a bit).

I’ve never had an Alfa but always felt I wanted one – cant explain why as up until recently I had never driven one and didn’t know anyone who had owned one. Fortunately (?) I have driven company cars for the last 20 years and most of that time it was the usual Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot restrictions. Six years ago I got a job with a wide car choice - looked at 156 but diesel (mandatory) was outside my price range so I got a Seat Toledo (good car). Three years ago the 156 was affordable but it just wasn’t big enough for the family – ended up with a Honda Accord (I’ll take the boring jibes but I think it looks good in sport trim and obviously hasn’t missed a beat).
So January 2007 arrives – 6 months to change time in August – time to start looking again. This time the 159SW ticked all the practical boxes and I hoped the price would be OK. I found this site and have been a very regular viewer and what a journey its been – some days I think Alfa’s must be the greatest car in the world and other days they are a nightmare. Every time I thought I’d made my mind up a new horror story would crop up – brake failures, engine management, paintwork, so I’d go and look at something else. No matter what I looked at I would come out of the showroom and think ‘good car….but its not an Alfa’ . I presume this means I’m now hooked.

After months of waiting I was finally told it was time to change and what did I want. So despite my nearest dealer being 80miles away and my own reservations (never mind those of colleagues) I asked for a 159SW 1.9jtd Lusso.

The cost of a standard Lusso came in £40/month above my allowance and the tax will be £40/month more than I’m paying for Honda.! Got ‘domestic approval’ so asked for delivery on a no option (other than metallic) Lusso. – 14 weeks !!.

Lease company have apparently located a couple of standard Lusso’s which may be an option.

Here’s hoping

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Yeah don't be put off by all the moaning minnies. A friend of mine works for a company that uses a fleet of well-known German cars and every single one had to be returned. Cam belts fail on all sorts of cars. Do a search on car recalls and see the actual record of these other makes, it'll make you think. Look after your Alfa and there will still be some concerns but I think far too many dwell on these. I've had my 33 for 14 years, my GTV for 6, I had a 146 for a year and have just bought a 147 for my daughter and I'm not daft!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had all the comments about reliability when we bought the Alfa, and to be honest don't think it has been in to the garage any more than the Golf we had before hand (which had its gearbox removed twice). Company cars I've had Avensis, Passat Vectra were always there getting something done. The two most reliable I've had was a Rover and my current Mondeo.

A friend of mine had a 156 as a company car, had over about 80k miles on it when its lease was up and he'd had no major issues with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mate grab the standard Lusso with both hands its an absolute joy, if it blows up spectacularly in six months Sh*t happens and thats why you have a three year warranty. I've worked in the motor industry including a manufacturer where I changed my car every six weeks for a new one, for twenty years and nothing but nothing has come close to my 159

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.