Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my wifes VW golf gt tsi (170) to the dealers yesterday to find out value. 07 plate 10000 miles mint!Turns out up to now (18 months old) its lost £7000. At the 2 year point when we are due to change !!!! Oh Yes its depreciated 50% in 2 yes 2 years:mad:
Ive had a few Alfas and my car GTV 2.0 (03) Ive had for 6 months,so Im aware of all the residual pee-taking, but this surely has to be a record, especially for VW. Anyone wanting this Golf contact me next March and save yourself a couple of grand:rant:

·
Registered
733 Posts
The car market is in freefall at the moment, you'd probably get the same kind of reaction from most dealers, no matter what you were trying to px. In the last 6 years I've suffered 50% depreciation over 3½ years on an Audi A4 Avant, and just recently about 60% over 3 years on a Saab when I swapped it for my 159. They told me they only took it because it was mint, but if they hadn't made me a reasonable offer, I'd have kept it for another year or so. I'm hoping that my Alfa might even do slightly better than that if I keep it for the usual 3 years, but who knows? Maybe every car dealer in the country will have gone out of business by then, the future isn't looking bright, but as they don't rely all that much on fleet or volume sales, maybe Alfa dealers will survive better than some of the others.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
My 14 year old '55 costs me about £700 a year in bits to keep running. :)

New cars... you don't need them dudes.. especially as that Golf for instance will take 100,000 miles without breaking a sweat.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yep, the car market seems like its on its arse at the moment. Look at all the deals on new cars & cracking finance deals. The down side is the p/ex values have plumetted.
Probably a good idea to hold on to your existing car, unless you really want/need a newer one & are prepared for a low valuation.
Or maybe leasing is the way to go, to protect against poor residuals?
Matt.

P

·
0 Posts
Second hand cars are the way to go :thumbs: Someone else takes the hit.

Better for the environment too as they have already been manufactured.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Thats a hell of a drop :wow: Dont want to take any notice of their first offer they talk out their arse and just trying to get it for next to nothing. Dont want to think about the depretiation on a GTA especially with this £400 road tax pending

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I think the main problem with the 147 residuals in particular is the age of the design/target market.

The 147 first came out in 2000 and the new 149 is due, also the 147 market is aimed at Astra/Focus owners (whose residuals are also poor), combined with the economic situation and you going the part-ex route (wouldnt surprise me if you could get 1-2k more selling privately, worth investigating :) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts