Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after all the stick i've taken from my brother recently about how unreliable Alfa's are and how German cars are much better and much more reliable, as my 147 JTD keeps soldiering on his BMW 320cd is now sat at the side of the road awaiting RAC assistance with a suspected blown turbo, now obviously being my brother i feel fairly sorry for him but as an Alfa driver i feel it necessary to say haaaahahaha :lol: it's an 04 plate btw so not exactly old

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
What I like is that Alfa's have an excuse if they break down, everyone knows that they break down, a BMW has no excuse at all which is why it is 100 times funnier when they do :lol:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAC have come out said they don't know what's happened but may possibly need a new engine, luckily for him it's still under warranty he's only had it less than 2 weeks :cheese:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so apparently the RAC aren't certain but it oculd be a busted turbo, but it could be as bad as a melted piston which has resulted in permanent none repairable damage to the bore :( oh dear, sounds like a very poorly BMW :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ha ha! Love it when I read stuff like this, everybody had an opinion on Alfas being unreliable when we got ours, she runs like clockwork....

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Its a toughie this one, lots of things depending!! how a car german or alfa has been driven, serviced across its lifetime!

Some people always have car problems because the drive like s..t, and don't bother servicing the car when its due etc. And yes things can still go wrong with new cars.

My Gt needed alot of work when i got it!! alfa's do not last as long as other brands! my other car is german i have owned for 15 years and she is built like a tank, i service her when i should and it gets alot of tlc!
I don't on the other hand see my Gt lasting as long after said time, if i don't spend time pampering it to death and spending money on wishbones etc etc..... i just know what to expect when it comes to alfa's! Lets stop pretending they are built like german cars cause they are not! I hope one day they will be though! or maybe that would take away some of their character?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I just think that Alfa's are pretty reliable. The Germans are better in some areas, but if you buy a 40k German and a 40k Alfa there won't be much there. Some times people compare a 20K Alfa with the 50K German their Father had etc. etc. Wishbones go on German too and I should know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sweet! This post made me smile. :) I get it at work nearly every day.... 'Oooh I wouldn't buy an Alfa they're soooo unreliable.' And then they trip over their own boots trying not to look at my Veloce while they walk to their bore-mobile Vauxhalls and Fords in the carpark. Next day their all moaning about suspension knocks and engine rattles and noisy trim.... Love it. :cheese:

·
Registered
26 Posts
well after all the stick i've taken from my brother recently about how unreliable Alfa's are and how German cars are much better and much more reliable, as my 147 JTD keeps soldiering on his BMW 320cd is now sat at the side of the road awaiting RAC assistance with a suspected blown turbo, now obviously being my brother i feel fairly sorry for him but as an Alfa driver i feel it necessary to say haaaahahaha :lol: it's an 04 plate btw so not exactly old
My brother in law has a garage and there is an 08 s5 he has just changed the clutch on and is refusing to start afterwards its covered a massive 21k miles. And right next to it is an 04 320d with a blown turbo.

Last year i bought and broke a 53 plate 330d which had an engine full of broken swirl flaps!!!

Yeah buy german they last forever!!!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
indeed

your GR will still be beautiful and cared for in 20 years time, whereas your German car will be an long obsolete and turned into a washing machine in China......
Ouch......lol:. I hear what you are saying. To be honest getting parts is a nightmare for a classic audi! one of the reasons i bought my Gt! my Gt is my reliable sensible everyday car.:)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
while my direct family has only had 1 german car - my brothers vw bora(jetta), other relatives and friends have mercs, audis, bmws etc. nearly everyone has had more trouble than me.
my 2002 156 isn't perfect(owned 5/6yrs), but its not had as much grief as my brothers 2002 vw... or my uncles 03 merc, or his son in laws 330... I'm not going to go on, a girl 3 doors from me has a 318c? the coupe 3series, its broken down at least 3 times now...!

alfas have a bad rep based on the past sure, Its not as bad these days but people must remember to maintain their motors!
*last one - to prove that people dont know - a friend drove her auidi tt with NO OIL in it for 2 weeks. she found the warning alarm and beeps very annoying, and ignored my advice. the car survived, a whole 3 years after that which I don think is good german engineering!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
sorry for double post but just remembered, you know how we have squeeky suspension/arms etc that tend to need replacing (which annoys me as none of my dads japanese or english cars ever needed such) well, I know 2 mercs, a class 00 plate, and c class 51 plate, both have had broken wishbones/upper arms? ok my story gets rubbish as I forget the names of the parts but same part broke on both cars, these parts dont just wear out on alfas - both guys cars spend long bouts off the road at garages - I'm not gonna tempt fate but seems most modern cars have problems these days

·
Registered
199 Posts
its all down to how to maintain it. some say buy approved parts from Alfa and pay the premium, some say you can getaway with replacement parts. I still don't drive an alfa due to budget issues but i have a 1998 corsa with 133k on the clock and still drives like clock work. taken it scotland and back covering 1500 miles over 4 days and people are still surprised its still running. All i have learnt from here and vaux forums is service cambelt, change coolant at regular intervals, carry out yearly service inc oil change, spark plugs, filters etc and you're good to go, the recipe couldn't be any simpler and it applies to any car

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just hate when owners are putting down on Alfas in general. I've owned several German cars and know well what's been wrong with them. :rant:

The 156 lists as no 26 or something on the Swedish MOT test list. Out of 248. Plenty of German and Japanese cars below it..

When my stepbrother told me his chain pulley failed on the beemer..I was just... "too bad". :p Ahh well, all cars break down eventually. Stand tall I'd say.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I just hate when owners are putting down on Alfas in general. I've owned several German cars and know well what's been wrong with them. :rant:

When my stepbrother told me his chain pulley failed on the beemer..I was just... "too bad". :p Ahh well, all cars break down eventually. Stand tall I'd say.
Same thing happened to a guy at work on a 08 plate 318; his engine was wrecked (or so they said); he was lucky and obtained another engine from a scrapper. Only cost him 4 grand or so.

The Beemer was just out of warranty and had always been serviced at a main dealer, they couldn't give a stuff! No chance of any sympathy.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
all of which reminds me

my Siemens washing macine is 8 years old and used every other day or every third day, the cheapo Indesit dishwasher is 7 years old is used daily

guess which one expired and which one is still going

old BMWs are no good even for washing machines.....:mad:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Would be interesting to compare average servicing costs and replaced parts over a 10 year period. To lets say a similar mileage/treated alfa Gt and an audi TT?:) And how many times each car left the owner stranded by the side of the road?

Damien.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts