Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, since I'm going for my car and many workmates (petrol head types) asking why I'm off on Monday, I gleefully tell them I'm going for my new Alfa Romeo.

Surprised how many (non-owners I may add) still/always have the default perfception of 'nice cars - but that'll see the inside of a garage often'!! References to reliability/quality etc.

On Forums, you do tend to hear more about the things that are going wrong with folks cars, more often than all the good things about them - it's the same on all other forums regardless of Marque. If you go to the Audi RS4 forum and read about the issues there, I'd never have bought one, yet, after 8 years of ownership, it's probably been the most reliable car I've ever owned so far.

Whilst observant about what people say on Forums and their problems, I've also been paying attention to those that say for example "mines on 112k miles and no issues", because it does demonstrate that there will be plenty out there that give trouble free motoring, you just seem to hear less about those.

I'm not saying Alfa's don't have their issues, but do they have any more issues than most other manufacturer's?

Nothing so far has put me off anyway!

In summary, I think Alfa need to work harder on 'perceptions' to potential buyers if they're to flourish (apart from expanding the range). There's plenty out there I think that would love one but are scared away but percieved problems with them that I don't think are there any more than the monday morning problem car rolling off anyone's production line!

PS, and I don't give a monkey if these workmates think I buying a potential time bomb, I love them!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I dont think alfa will ever shake the perception, just like skoda wont, even although its part of the VAG group and are all good cars.

Even although i had 3.5 years of good service, trouble free driving (couple of minor but easily sorted under warranty) people would always say the same the me being nice, but unreliable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think alfa will ever shake the perception, just like skoda wont, even although its part of the VAG group and are all good cars.

Even although i had 3.5 years of good service, trouble free driving (couple of minor but easily sorted under warranty) people would always say the same the me being nice, but unreliable.
I think Skoda has more of a problem shaking it's 'image' with the older folks that remember what cheap dogs they were and the butt of many jokes. That will eventually vanish with the younger generation. It already has to an extent, loads of young guys in Fabia's prove that. Reliabilty/Satisfaction surveys have also endeared them with others.

My mate owns an Indy, and he says he would be bankrupt without French cars (50% of his business), he says they are the most unreliable he's ever come accross! This is what I don't get, they've been like that for years, yet, don't seem to carry the same stigma - still sell in spades!:confused:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The irony is, Skoda, like Alfa, used to be really interestingly engineered cars that just weren't built well. Now both are built far better but have lost a lot of that engineering free spirit that made them popular with those in the know in the first place.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think Skoda has more of a problem shaking it's 'image' with the older folks that remember what cheap dogs they were and the butt of many jokes. :
That's very true - I'd still have great difficulty being drawn to a Skoda (but I guess that's mainly showing my age :()

I had the same nonsense when I bought a Fiat (my last car). Friends would say "Are you sure that was a good idea?" or something like that but the joke was it was the most reliable car I've ever owned (had it 8 years).

In fact I figured, directly from that experience, that if a Fiat was that good then how good is an Alfa going to be :inlove:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I get it all the time.
"You drive an Alfa??? Why???"

Remember, the vast majority of these people have never even set foot in an Alfa, let alone owned one. They are sheep who go along with public opinion on everything.

They do us a favour by preventing Alfas becoming as common as Audis or BMWs.

·
Registered
35,703 Posts
I get it all the time.

Remember, the vast majority of these people have never even set foot in an Alfa, let alone owned one. They are sheep who go along with public opinion on everything.

The people I know generally admire the Alfa and the courage taken in owning one . Not many are so dumb as that .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get it all the time.

Never a truer word spoken!!!:thumbs:

However, I do also own Audi's, albeit old ones. :lol: I do respect what you're saying though and know you are in principle, correct.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's very true - I'd still have great difficulty being drawn to a Skoda (but I guess that's mainly showing my age :()

I had the same nonsense when I bought a Fiat (my last car). Friends would say "Are you sure that was a good idea?" or something like that but the joke was it was the most reliable car I've ever owned (had it 8 years).

In fact I figured, directly from that experience, that if a Fiat was that good then how good is an Alfa going to be :inlove:
Nice to hear you say that about your Fiat.

We are both showing our age probably. :thumbs:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My limited and ancient experience of the 2 Alfa's I owned over 24 years ago (ok, I'm 48 for reference) which was a 1983 GTV6 and an Alfasud Greencloverleaf, was the engineering of the mechanicals were solid as anything about then. It was always the electrics that went wrong.

Also had a Fiat 131 Mirafiori which was a great car, only let down by electrical gremlins. The engines in the Fiats and Alfa's of the era were bullet proof.

The general analysis of Italian cars has mostly been, that they don't do build quality for wet British climates but know how to build an engine and make cars handle.

Probably, that's why most of us are prepared to compromise on certain flaws and enjoy the good stuff. Unfortunately, car companies are businesses and require to sell cars to the masses to survive, and flaws are not welcomed these days.

·
Registered
165 Posts
At work, I have a... wait for it... Skoda owner :eek: trying to mock me for buying an Alfa! It was all good natured banter for the most part, but he just wouldn't shut up. So, eventually I thanked him - when he asked "what for?" I replied "because attitudes like that, prevent knobs like you buying Alfas!" He admitted defeat at that point :cheese:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At work, I have a... wait for it... Skoda owner :eek: trying to mock me for buying an Alfa! It was all good natured banter for the most part, but he just wouldn't shut up. So, eventually I thanked him - when he asked "what for?" I replied "because attitudes like that, prevent knobs like you buying Alfas!" He admitted defeat at that point :cheese:
Totally superb!!!!!!:lol::lol:

·
Registered
35,703 Posts
Am I right in saying that , for Alfa owners, the car is a more important statement in their lives than for other drivers?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am I right in saying that , for Alfa owners, the car is a more important statement in their lives than for other drivers?
You know what, you're probably spot on!!:thumbs:

But, I'd also ask, are Alfa followers not trying to make a statement at all, just following their passion for the brand and what it means to them?

Whilst Alfa is a 'brand', it doesn't carry the badge snobbery associated with all the sheep. You have to be a genuine fan to buy an Alfa IMHO, and that says a lot for those who put their money where their faith is, good and bad!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's not the only reason I drive an Alfa but, in direct answer to your question, for me, I'm proud to say, yes.

I've always been told that I don't see things in the way others see them and don't think about things as others do. The Alfa just complements that perfectly.

Renault, BMW, Audi, Ford, etc....they say "I'm not bold enough to stand out from the crowd".

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
623 Posts
yep,100% for me anyways,the two giulis I have had have been admired by people in carparks,nobody said anything about my m sport bm,cooper s,pro ceed gt,308 gt,so the giuli does say something about your taste:thumbs:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a Skoda Yeti before my G great car, bought for after discount £13.750.00 sold after 3 years for £10.000. I would have kept it, but as I turned 50, I always promised myself an alfa as my first car was an Alfa Sud. My point is, both cars have brought derision for different reasons, from people who know nothing about motors. :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
I drive an Alfa because people who don't know will never know what its like to drive a car that handles so well for so little money. They scoff at the reliability of Alfa's and yet I had a Ford Focus and a Peugeot 308 that both let me down within 3 months of ownership from brand new! Started with a 147 jtd and was hooked!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Anyone who still thinks that Skoda will never lose their poor image is out of touch or deluded. Skoda's reputation in the UK is now extremely high - as seen by the fact they trounced VW in the 2014 JD Power survey of customer satisfaction, behind only Mercedes Benz, Lexus and Jaguar. In addition, 2 Skoda models, the Yeti and Octavia featured in the top 10.
So I would say that Skoda's reputation was well and truly sorted. In comparison, MiTo was 108th out of 109 cars - beating only the Chevrolet Spark. Giulietta was 98th.

The success of the Skoda revival can be seen in their sales figures - up almost 21% for the first half of 2014 to 40,000 cars - compared with ARUK at 3000 cars .

You can argue that JD Power features those who can be bothered to complain but there is clearly something wrong with Alfa Romeo's target market positioning as a premium brand.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts