Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have a long trip to make in August, maybe 1000 miles in three days. Should I take the Alfa or a cheap hire car?

The 147 twinspark lusso has been reliable for the last 30,000 miles but I may be pushing my luck. OTOH the motor is sweet and there is cruise control. Don't want to get stuck on the Pennines, calling out the RAC.

What does the team think?

Alex.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I regularly take my 147 (2008, 50k) to Ireland usually running up 12-1500 miles. If there are no problems running round locally why should new territory have any impact?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It's not that far! Take your Alfa.:driving:

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
If something is going to fail it can happen anywhere, take the Alfa and we will all cross our fingers nothing goes wrong,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

It is amazing how deep a lack of confidence will go. I would trust the Yamaha around the world, but all that negative propaganda on Alfas has gone under my skin!

If we took away the story and just went on experience I would say that the Twinspark engine is a doozy and won't let me down. Why the f*** should German and Japanese motors get all the kudos? I've been in a Subaru that was a total dog.

But I won't take the Alfa. Reason? A hire car is disposable, and I love my own car. :thumbup:

Alex.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
What is the point of owning a car if the first long journey you opt for a hire car? Go the whole hog; either use the Alfa or get rid and use hire cars and taxis everywhere.:yes:

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Take the car. Worst that can happen is that the AA cart it home and you carry on in a hire car. Best that can happen is .... nothing.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Unless you're overdue a belt change, I can see no reason not to use the Alfa - I've driven mainly Alfas for the last 20 years or more, and only had 3 breakdowns. 2 were belt failures (because I'm a mingebag and never change the belts on my own cars), and one was a crank sensor. Just let it cool and then managed it the hundred miles or so home.......

This "Alfas break all the time" is, and to my mind always was, nonsense......

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Folks,

I have a long trip to make in August, maybe 1000 miles in three days. Should I take the Alfa or a cheap hire car?

The 147 twinspark lusso has been reliable for the last 30,000 miles but I may be pushing my luck. OTOH the motor is sweet and there is cruise control. Don't want to get stuck on the Pennines, calling out the RAC.

What does the team think?

Alex.
Only you know how reliable your car is. How well it's maintained. IMO it's that, that determines a car's reliability and not really the badge.

The question might well be "Do you want to put the miles on the car?" If that's your dilemma then do what makes you happy. Perhaps hire an Aston Martin :lol:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Only you know how reliable your car is. How well it's maintained. IMO it's that, that determines a car's reliability and not really the badge.

The question might well be "Do you want to put the miles on the car?" If that's your dilemma then do what makes you happy. Perhaps hire an Aston Martin :lol:
I agree with your sentiments Malc, as you know I do my own maintenance and have driven my Alfa's all over Europe, as I am right now, 1000 miles a trip, pah, 1000 miles a day no issues.
As mentioned any car can give you problems, enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I had my 147 I did regular trips to the Med, swapped it last year for a 159 because the boot was bigger and drove that to Helsinki and back. I always have European breakdown cover, never used it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wezley,

I think it is that. I'm retired on a modest income and this 147 is a peach. I know my roads and parking spots around here; some call this a 'comfort zone'? OTOH a hire car is just that. Wasn't it Clarkson who said that hire cars are the fastest cars in the world? :biglaugh:

Alex.

PS - The great thing with older Alfas is that if one dies, you can afford another one. That's a comfort.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,549 Posts
but if you take a hire car, you'll keep wishing you'd taken the Alfa, Alex :)

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
What is the point of owning a car if the first long journey you opt for a hire car? Go the whole hog; either use the Alfa or get rid and use hire cars and taxis everywhere.:yes:

I enjoy using rental cars.
It's a good way to properly test a car before buying/leasing.

:p

Admittedly in Europe it is an expensive exercise.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I enjoy using rental cars.
It's a good way to properly test a car before buying/leasing.

:p

Admittedly in Europe it is an expensive exercise.
I do, however I've only had Magnums/300c Chevy Impalas etc (V6) and such dross in the US. They are hard to enjoy. Next time it will be a V8.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
There is no excuse to skimp in the US. :tut:

Also being in a frequent renter program makes it cheaper and gives you (guaranteed) free upgrades
throughout the year.

;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts