Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to change the 156 in the next handful of months and thought that I'd probably go for a 159SW. Decided, however to have a look at the A4 avant and am well impressed by the 2.0TFsi s-line special edition. 220PS and 0-62 in 7 and a bit seconds together with reasonably diesel like consumption figures, 18" S4 rims, full leather trim and a Bose stereo, all for a gnats more than a 159 SW Lusso 2.4 JTD.

Also, I emailed Alfa UK two weeks ago telling them to contact me because my company was considering getting 2 159 SW Lusso's and I haven't heard a thing as yet. With Audi I had a brochure and a call to arrange a test drive at a time and place of my convenience within 24 hours of emailing them!

At the moment I'm being pulled strongly towards the A4 and have a vague sinking feeling that I'll be leaving AR behind (for the moment at least). Can I be saved??????

M

·
0 Posts
Its little things like that, that can make a big difference. Alfa really need to get their act together if they want to sell their products:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeh too right, 2 Alfa dealerships in Leeds closed on the same day last week, I now need to travel to Brighouse or Harrogate. Is Alfa going down the pan? I would of thought that the Brera would be selling well on looks alone.
My wife bought a TT last year from a Audi dealer in Boston and the service we recieved was excellent. Having said that though, I spoke to a guy who had no end of hassle from the Leeds dealership.
If I were you my head would say buy the Audi, but my heart would say get the Alfa, and you dont see that many 159 sportwagons around (maybe there's a reason for that?!!!).

Hope your not too confused.

Hawk (Mark):confused:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Fraser said:
At the moment I'm being pulled strongly towards the A4 and have a vague sinking feeling that I'll be leaving AR behind (for the moment at least). Can I be saved??????
Ask Alfa20V ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think Alfa has to start lighten up their cars and put serious power in their engines. Brera isn't selling that much because you can't distinguish a 159 from a Brera outside (if you don't see the rear) nor inside (apart from the space and legroom being bigger in the 159.
I think outside the 159 is more beautiful than an Audi, and I truly believe that Alfas are much more enjoyable and fun to drive than Audis, but apart from looks and handling tastes, I think Audi would be a much more reasonable choice.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mmm. Opinions are pretty much as mine. The Alfa is better looking and a more interesting place inside too. BUT - I like the idea of the more compact Audi and certainly the better performance.

I have had an A4 before (S-reg) and it was the most boring car ever but I suspect the current models are better in that regard. It will probably come down to the test drives.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I had a look at an A4; and personally it left me a bit cold - also it appeared the 3.2 wasn't available with a proper manual gearbox :confused: :confused: :confused: (or perhaps that's what put me of the VW Passat???)

However, until the Ti pack comes out on the 159 I can appreciate that for 'flair' the Alfa may not be as far ahead of the Audi as it should be :( :( :( and the smaller turbo engines of the Audi do have a certain attraction if you're comparing them to a diesel Alfa.

Tis difficult at the moment - when really it should be a no-brainer:( :( :(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
When I was replacing my 156 I looked at the A4 and thought it was a great car. It was better built, better spec and the dealership feel was better......then I got back in my 156 after the test drive and realised just how 'cold' a car the Audi was and that it would never leave me feeling the same as the Alfa did when I was driving it.

I ended up getting a GT in the end but a colleague got a TT around the same time. Another work mate was looking for a new car and wanted a coupe so she drove his 265bhp TT Roadster and my 1.9 JTD GT. She got out and said that the TT was better built and very fast and that it seemed to handle very well....she simply said that she loved the GT.

....she bought a GT a couple fo weeks later:D

Audi's are fantastic cars and Alfa are trailing so far behind in the dealership stakes that it is hurting them bad. If they could sort that out it would not be simply a case of thinking with your head and going for another brand but using both head and heart and still deciding on an Alfa!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have driven both (A4 and 156) and the Alfa would get my vote every time, despite the fact that the A4 is quicker. It is pretty sad that Alfa is let down by poor aftersales service and some silly build quality issues (hope someone in Alfa UK is reading this!). Despite my Alfa catching fire recently, I would still go for another one. By the way, Audis are not more reliable than alfas, it is only customer service that is better!

W

·
0 Posts
The 159 SW is a stunning car, we'll certainly have one eventually.

Audi...sorry, doesn't do it for me, despite it's statistics.

wrinx

·
Registered
32 Posts
I previously had an A6 and an A8. Both were not that reliable:(

I currently drive a Landcruiser however when the right spec Brera comes out I will probably be getting one of them. Audi's not included on my list at the moment (although I wouldn't say 'No' to an R8 :) )

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I do quite like Audi's, a hospital I was at on Thursday had a rather bizzarely coloured (bronze) Audi GT Coupe, and I remember another Audi I hired had a certain road presence. However, as others have said, I do find the A4 a bit bland...

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
When you buy a product you vote for the product to be on the market, this is at least the 5th time someone is thinking of not buying an alfa....votes are going down very fast.............no vote for alfa = no more alfa romeo :tut: ................so buy the alfa romeo!!!!! I think its a better car.......ok alfa dealers are crap.........Audi forums will be full bald people with glasses talking about how they managed to get 70mpg and how their accountant managed to save them 50p last week!............your call! I know which one id choose if it was "free"!!!

I hope you go for the alfa romeo!

Although I will say the RS4 is the best looking car I have ever seen, oh second best...forgot about the Alfa C8, oh and the GTV CUP oh and the 166 with the Aero Kit.......... :p

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fraser said:
Cheers guys - keep 'em coming. Nearly there!!:D
How about this - might tip you over the edge?

I'm in a similar place to you Fraser - my GT will be replaced this year and I started looking at Audis (number of reasons - the impressive 'halo' models (S6/8, S4/RS4, new TT, my g/f being in the process of lining-up a TT later this year, plus my desire to go back to topless motoring (having sorely missed my V6 Spider since the GT replaced it)). Was considering an S4 cabrio, not least due to the performance reasons stated elsewhere.

However, I think that the forthcoming 159 TI pack might just do it for me. Don't like the new Spider (at all - think the original car was a much more arresting shape), so if I stay with Alfa, it will be a tin-top. 159 is gorgeous (even though the interior's nowehere near as resolved as the Audi benchmark) but still lacks presence (and performance). From what I've seen of the TI pack though (19" rims, lowered suspension, body-kit. interior enhancements), this for me will probably create enough of a 'special' vehicle (and Autodelta are offering a £300 remap promising +15bhp and +25n/m torque for the 3.2, which wiould go some way to addressing the disappointing performance stats) which, after all, is why we buy Alfas. At the end of the day, despite our dripes, we'll alsways be part of a loyal, knowledgeable minority who love cars, enjoy driving them and importantly, want a company with years or prouf heritage to succeed.

There, I've made my own mind up. You with me? ;)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
joegals said:
There, I've made my own mind up. You with me? ;)
:D :D

Very nearly. Just back from a cross-country blast on slightly greasy roads. I just love the handling of the 156 and can't imagine the Audi is half as good.

BTW I think the 159 is much more interesting inside than the Audi, although maybe not quite so well put together.

I'm begining to come round.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Have to agree with joegals - at leats wait and see how expensive the Ti pack is before making your mind up

1 - 20 of 102 Posts