Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - I often see a beautiful 159 drive past and wonder if I should buy one too! So I decided that I should take a drive in one and see if I liked it as much on the inside!
2 more videos to come on the 159!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Maybe you'll have a more exciting time if you choose a Spider or Brera next Chris!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Its a 2.0...not a 1.9 (wrong badge, engine cover...etc etc)....and according to the DVLA its a 170 horse version like mine.....not the 135......Something wrong somewhere.
It would explain why the remap did not work if they thought they were tuning the low emissions version.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Assuming it is a stock 1.9 lusso you deliberately chose the least sporty model and then complained about it being......not very sporty... :p

I watched your earlier GT video with interest having driven a GT recently, and coming from the other direction the difference was marked. Everything about the GT felt less well built, inside, outside and underneath, and less solid and planted than the 159. It made the experience more "exciting" but I was very glad to get back into my 159, particularly on rainy January motorway.

Looking forward to the next video although that modified bumper on the next one is...interesting. I think you said it is a Tbi. Are you going to test a 3.2 Q4 to round off?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine has been parked up for over a week now with two sticking brakes (one is likely to be a piston out, clean behind the o-ring job) and I haven't had the time, weather or motivation to sort them, but this video has made me realise how much I miss her!
Interesting that you chose the engine that "the crowd" was likely to go for as one of the appealing things about Alfas is that they're not like everything else, so sticking a boring clatterbox under the bonnet is a bit like your favourite band chasing chart success and losing their identity in the process!
My better half drives mine (it's a 2.2) like a diesel and as a result misses out on the fun side, so doesn't really see what I get from it. There's a mischievous character to the car that's a combination of so many little things - the weight and feel of the steering wheel, the way it corners, the red light shining on the gearstick, the crazy intermittent wipers, the noise and surge above 3000rpm.... - that no other car I've driven can match. That it looks as good as it does and is practical and reliable is just a bonus!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has been parked up for over a week now with two sticking brakes (one is likely to be a piston out, clean behind the o-ring job) and I haven't had the time, weather or motivation to sort them, but this video has made me realise how much I miss her!
Interesting that you chose the engine that "the crowd" was likely to go for as one of the appealing things about Alfas is that they're not like everything else, so sticking a boring clatterbox under the bonnet is a bit like your favourite band chasing chart success and losing their identity in the process!
My better half drives mine (it's a 2.2) like a diesel and as a result misses out on the fun side, so doesn't really see what I get from it. There's a mischievous character to the car that's a combination of so many little things - the weight and feel of the steering wheel, the way it corners, the red light shining on the gearstick, the crazy intermittent wipers, the noise and surge above 3000rpm.... - that no other car I've driven can match. That it looks as good as it does and is practical and reliable is just a bonus!
Thanks for commenting mate - I chose what I thought was the "standard" version, as most people looking at review vids are thinking about buying the car, so i hoped that would be the most useful feedback for them. Maybe not as it happened!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi folks, after the somewhat inaccurate last video about the 159 which unfortunately annoyed a few folks, I have just released my 159 "Hacks" video, which contains an apology as well as some strange, useful and equally useless features from the depths of the 159 handbook! Hope this one is more enjoyable :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
will you try also the modded SW Chris? If it is Mr McD car iirc it was 2.4 and with quite a few engine mods, curious to see.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Did not know the one about using the metal key to close the glass...will try that tomorrow! I believe the early ones had remote "total closure" anyway.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Very easy to just get rid of those annoying beeps altogether - no need to faff with opening and closing boots.
There's a thread on here somewhere. An odd procedure, but it does work.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Not a great advert for the 2.0 tractor then. But an honest and genuine review (y)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I watched the hacks video on Thursday night and then had to use the metal key/windows up thing - which I didn't know about before - on Friday morning when the car dropped all 4 windows of it's own accord when I got to work!
I hadn't locked it (nearly non-existent vehicle crime rate here) and didn't notice the windows go down as it was dark and windy, it was only when the alarm went off that I realised what had happened and thanks to the video knew the quick and easy way to sort it. Thankfully I got the windows up before the rain came down just a few minutes later!
Well worth 10 minutes of your time for those of us too manly to read the owners manual!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts