Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I had a days leave and went to work on my boat. I always park in the boatyard with a sign in the window to say where I am in case anybody needs it moving. (It looks a bit like a for sale notice I suppose).
Anyway, a Guy stopped to talk to me about my boat, and then said "Thats your Alfa up there isn't it"? After assuring him that it was, he asked me if I had moved the number plate.
He said that every Alfa he sees, has it's number plate offset on the near side, which actually spoils the whole aesthetic looks in his eyes. He then asked me why they did that..............I didn't actually know what to tell him...........what is the reason please? Does it go back to some historical reason?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I heated my plate up and formed it on the curve, looks stunning. In Italy you get these really tiny number plates, they fit perfect.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Ummm, because the scudetto is in the middle, going quite far down, on most modern Alfas. There's no other place to put the number plate apart from blocking the radiator?
I would have thought it was obvious.

Actually on most post-war Alfas, the standard mounting place for the number plate has always been in the middle. On most of the 105/115-series, except the Spider, cars it was on the bumper in the middle. This was basically the case for most Alfas up until the 156, 147, GT and Phase 3 GTV/Spider. Since then the scudetto has gone down very low, precluding the possibility of a central mounting for the plate.

Personally I think the side-mounted plate looks fetching and does not "spoil" looks at all.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I like it to one side. 916 PH1 is in the middle. That looks rather dull in comparison :D

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Ummm, because the scudetto is in the middle, going quite far down, on most modern Alfas. There's no other place to put the number plate apart from blocking the radiator?
I would have thought it was obvious.

Thinking about it again, I realise that it may not be that obvious for many people who are not car enthusiasts or who are not mechanically inclined at all.
Most people do not even think about radiator airflow. A fair number probably couldn't even tell you what a radiator in a car does...

·
Registered
534 Posts
The number plate to the side confuses the ANPR at a car park I use regularly. Most times the pay machine has no idea when I arrived and asked when it was. The first hour is free so I arrived half an hour ago regardless of the true time. Not my problem if their system is [email protected]

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
The number plate to the side confuses the ANPR at a car park I use regularly. Most times the pay machine has no idea when I arrived and asked when it was. The first hour is free so I arrived half an hour ago regardless of the true time. Not my problem if their system is [email protected]
How odd (and as you say, crap).

·
Registered
275 Posts
My works car park is the same, annoying as hell when you sit there just waiting for the machine to realise its not going to find it. Doesn't help the cameras are usually mounted on the right.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
The car park at Gatwick is a nightmare... camera mounted on the right, number plate on the left.

last 3 times ive had to go into the office to get new ticket as it can only read the first 3 characters... Last time the bloke said right away "is in a Alfa? They look good but we get the drivers in here everyday" :lol:

·
Registered
36,841 Posts
The simple fact is that symmetry is "easier on the eye" or better for cognitive processing. Humans find faces with symmetry more sexually attractive and studies have shown a preference for balanced compositions of shapes as they are easier to understand. There are many studies to show that given a central datum point ,such as the nose, a face can be compared to the ideal. It could be argued that the scudetto takes on this role instead of the registration plate and the eye is uncomfortable with this, especially as the grille is not a solid item but a hole. Anyway, I like the Alfa plate position , even if the Giulia doesn't have quite enough bordering space, and I've never had trouble at airport car parks.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The car park at Gatwick is a nightmare... camera mounted on the right, number plate on the left.

last 3 times ive had to go into the office to get new ticket as it can only read the first 3 characters... Last time the bloke said right away "is in a Alfa? They look good but we get the drivers in here everyday" :lol:
I was at Gatwick South either side of Christmas (taking and collecting a good friend) in the Giulietta and had no problems. I didn't even realise there could be a problem. Similarly at Eurotunnel I have never had a problem. Perhaps the plates on the G are squarer to the road than in earlier models. Being able to read only the first three characters might be explained by the RHE of the plate being too obliquely angled.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
On top of that, not just Alfa does that, I have seen the Audi RS cars also put their plate on the left hand side to the grill. So once again others are being lead by Alfa:biglaugh:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The simple fact is that symmetry is "easier on the eye" or better for cognitive processing. Humans find faces with symmetry more sexually attractive
Errrr.... You are sexually attracted to cars but only
if they have a symetrically mounted reg number plate?

:eek:

·
Registered
36,841 Posts
Ref; " sexual selection: the role of symmetry and averageness." 1994
Grammer K1, Thornhill R. Hypothesis was proved.
(The front of a car is a face isn't it?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts