Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM off to Milan first week of 2020, and wondered if the Museum was definitely worth taking the trip north for?
Does anyone know if they are open at that time of year?

Thanks

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
The museo is well worth a visit. Don’t go on a Monday. It’s closed on Mondays. The neighbouring area where Alfa used to make the cars is now the site for Europe’s biggest shopping centre.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Strange that Cue, I've been twice, and I never saw any shopping centre:rofl:, fortunately, neither did the wife!!

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
Strange that Cue, I've been twice, and I never saw any shopping centre:rofl:, fortunately, neither did the wife!!
I think they were quite happy to make it all into a mega-bluewater but surprisingly were told the historical collection had to be saved. So the admin building was preserved with the addition of a cover to a walkway from the carpark that is a massive red door mirror!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well worth a visit for sure - I've been there a couple of years ago during the Christmas holidays; I've yet to hear of someone, regardless of not being an Alfista or not even a car enthusiast, not enjoying the visit.
During my own tour there were people from all over the world - those who spoke languages I could understand, I heard making plenty of enthusiastic comments. Runaway favourite was the racecar section - people looking at the 1950s F1 cars and realizing how absurdly bonkers these were; Also, most of the cars were actually raced - they still bear the marks of their on-track adventures - the touring cars, I'd say unsurprisingly, being the most beaten up :)

The taxi driver who took me to the museum from Malpensa...had never been there, notwithstanding the fact he spoke with the thickest Milanese accent I've ever heard.
As for the shopping centre, it's relatively new - I think it was opened a couple of years ago max; It has the first Primark/Penneys in Italy. Unfortunately, when I spoke about being to Arese to a bunch of friends in Italy - some of which LIVE in Milan - they all went "ah you went to the new shopping center?". FFS.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas, I’ll be there in three weeks time so great to know. One question, Can you get from the shopping centre car park to the Museum easily? I’ve read there is little parking provided there at the Museum.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
The car park is huge! We were there in June this year and July in 2018 and there was masses of space. At least this time of year you wont be trying to find somewhere in the shade!

·
Registered
172 Posts
We've been twice in the last 3 years. Its well worth a visit.

The shopping centre is as well but too far to walk between the two. Don't worry about the car park there was plenty of space when we were there in the heat of the summer. Sadly we were one of the few Alfa's in the car park.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IM off to Milan first week of 2020, and wondered if the Museum was definitely worth taking the trip north for?
Does anyone know if they are open at that time of year?

Thanks
We went there last year in our Aston. The museum is unbelievably brilliant. Far, far better than the Ferrari museum . We cannot find enough words to say how great the Alfa museum
is !

·
Registered
269 Posts
We went there last year in our Aston. The museum is unbelievably brilliant. Far, far better than the Ferrari museum . We cannot find enough words to say how great the Alfa museum
is !
If you responded a few days ago I could have asked directly. I enjoyed my visit, with highlights for me being the sky blue 8C 2900B Lungo, the 8C Competizione (beautiful curves), the SZ Coda Tronca, the TZ and TZ2 and the entire collection of GP machinery. Disappointingly, there was no 4C on display nor was the 33 Stradale to be found.
Don’t bother trying to buy any Alfa Romeo racing merchandise. They only have polo shirts. On-line is the only way to go. The on-line shop is offering a 30% discount which covers their extortionate shipping costs.

My other criticism would be the lack of technical information about the cars on display and their racing histories. Still all in all an outstanding collection beautifully displayed. We were just about the only ones in the Museum....maybe 3 others there at the time of our visit.
There was no issue with parking. As someone said, there is plenty of parking available. I’d recommend driving to it too.

Just about finished the holiday. Back to the burning hell of Eastern Oz after the the relative heaven and clean air of Italy and Austria.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
Beautiful building by Future Systems. We parked our Multipla outside and the modern bit echoed the lines of the Fiats dashboard!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts