Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to swerve the family to Milan on our European tour to visit the museum, well worth a visit if you get the chance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there was a good mix and some fantastic cars there. There's not much post 105 though so they could update the collection.

It would be great to do the trip in the spider, I did feel a bit of a fraud rocking up in a VW Passat with a roof box on!

B

·
0 Posts
We went to the 'old' museum in 2006.

Turned up in our (Citroen) camper van at about 12 o'clock and asked at the security gate if/when the museum would open. We were told that it would open after lunch at about 2.30, so (in the car park) we assembled our table & chairs and made a nice pasta meal. At about 3pm the security guard wandered over and said we'd be welcome to go in - there was no charge - but that there was no one to show us around.
We had the whole museum to ourselves - and were told we could even sit in the cars for photos if we liked.......
When we left I saw some rather 'nice' museum guides, so I 'pinched' a couple - when we got back to the van the security guard came running over and asked us if we enjoyed the museum and was delighted when we said how much we had. Particularly so when we told him we preferred the Alfa Museum to the Ferrari Museum we had visited days earlier. He rushed off and came back to present us with dozens of Museum Guides / Brochures / old AR publicity material. Bargain.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds great but things have changed now, it's very slick and you're not allowed to touch any of the cars.

Plus they didn't give me any discount for my AROC membership!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wonderful place and lovely cars!

When I went, it was with a 'very connected' friend and have photos of my son sitting in Fangio's Alfetta...

This, not to mention a myriad other ones. That day it was closed to the public.

Thankfully, they never went through with the insane idea of dismembering the collection!

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
We went to the 'old' museum in 2006.

Turned up in our (Citroen) camper van at about 12 o'clock and asked at the security gate if/when the museum would open. We were told that it would open after lunch at about 2.30, so (in the car park) we assembled our table & chairs and made a nice pasta meal. At about 3pm the security guard wandered over and said we'd be welcome to go in - there was no charge - but that there was no one to show us around.
We had the whole museum to ourselves - and were told we could even sit in the cars for photos if we liked.......
When we left I saw some rather 'nice' museum guides, so I 'pinched' a couple - when we got back to the van the security guard came running over and asked us if we enjoyed the museum and was delighted when we said how much we had. Particularly so when we told him we preferred the Alfa Museum to the Ferrari Museum we had visited days earlier. He rushed off and came back to present us with dozens of Museum Guides / Brochures / old AR publicity material. Bargain.
It was pretty much the same in 2009. The only differences being was that we handed in our passports to security and there was a women flitting around with a feather duster dusting the cars. I sat in an 8C it was the most ''hands on'' museum I have ever been in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was pretty much the same in 2009. The only differences being was that we handed in our passports to security and there was a women flitting around with a feather duster dusting the cars. I sat in an 8C it was the most ''hands on'' museum I have ever been in.
The woman with the feather duster? She was the same one that opened the GTAm on display, as no one at the museum had the keys. I told her she should be the general manager, not the duster...

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have been to the Alfa museum several times, both old and new layout. The new layout is very nicely done especially the race car hall with the video walls and dark lighting, still think it's better than Ferrrari.

As a few have said, previously it was far more relaxed and the most you were dealt with was handing in passports at the security gate. I have a photos of me in the 155 DTM car and Fangios car...!

Still a superb place to visit and I am hopeful that the revamp means Alfa back back and mean business.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Yes there was a good mix and some fantastic cars there. There's not much post 105 though so they could update the collection.
Post 105 there's basically the 75, 164, 156 and 8C, all in a little corner to themselves.
I'd say they should add a 156 or 147 GTA and a GT, plus a Brera Spider.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts