Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I know I shouldn't infect my son with Alfitus this early, we are going to look at this for him...! Anyone know this car?

PM if any specific gory details please, or post general experience of the MiTo!

Thanks.

Cian

·
Registered
8 Posts
I loved my MiTo but that looks on the expensive side....€4750 is over £4k and it's done over a hundred thousand miles on a 1.4....bodykit looks nice and it looks lowered but surely they're signs those 100k miles were all above 6000rpm, I had a MiTo 155 (guessing that's the 135) and they're cheap as chips here in the UK, you could pick up a nice standard QV with lower mileage for that cash. I can't see any details about the servicing, maybe I'm being thick but I'd expect them to list any of the positive work on there....when was the last cambelt change? The service interval was 4 years or 48k miles on mine, I'm assuming it didn't change from the 155 to 135 - so is that now on its third cambelt?
All that said..... drive it and see! You'll know in a minute if it's the right car for you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I loved my MiTo but that looks on the expensive side....€4750 is over £4k and it's done over a hundred thousand miles on a 1.4....bodykit looks nice and it looks lowered but surely they're signs those 100k miles were all above 6000rpm, I had a MiTo 155 (guessing that's the 135) and they're cheap as chips here in the UK, you could pick up a nice standard QV with lower mileage for that cash. I can't see any details about the servicing, maybe I'm being thick but I'd expect them to list any of the positive work on there....when was the last cambelt change? The service interval was 4 years or 48k miles on mine, I'm assuming it didn't change from the 155 to 135 - so is that now on its third cambelt?
All that said..... drive it and see! You'll know in a minute if it's the right car for you!
That said.... loved my MiTo until the suspension went....I drove it really really really hard for a few weeks and it got a bit noisy, took it in for an oil change and there was less than a pint of oil in my engine! After the oil change I was gentle for a day then back to boy racer and never had any further problems....ok not great that it burnt through oil like that but a sign of a strong engine that it survived on less than a pint.
My suspension did go...not sure what, I took it to a couple of garages because of a constant knocking noise at the back, I was told each time nothing was wrong but the noise was awful! This really all stemmed from helping a girl move house who lived in a town called ramsbottom.... really really poorly maintained roads, so I guess I'm saying...if you get a MiTo, be careful with bumps!
Oh and the handbrake! I left mine in a carpark on a slope...I don't leave my car in gear but put the handbrake on full - I once went back to my car and he'd moved 3 or 4 car lengths downwards. I had my handbrake adjusted at service but then within a couple of weeks it was back to the groaning noise when I used the handbrake on a slope....not sure if this is my driving style or a common fault.

·
Administrator
87,599 Posts
..I don't leave my car in gear but put the handbrake on ful
You are supposed to leave your car in gear, not rely on the handbrake, it even states this in the Owner Manual ;)

·
Administrator
87,599 Posts
I see the MiTo advert has now been removed, did you infect your son Cibo !

If so we'll done (y)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi David,

No, I didn't get to it yet! I had gone off that one a bit, it had obviously been lowered so it would have been an insurance problem for my lad.

We are going to look at another one locally on Thursday, so there is still hope!

·
Registered
09 MiTo Lusso
1 Posts
As you probably expected, he did very little to convince me away from getting an Alfa. Proud first time Alfa owner keeping up the family tradition! MiTo surprisingly insurance friendly for a first time policy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts