Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little confused.

So I think I have found a MiTo but a little confused what it is (surprise..).

The car itself appears to be a 95bhp Lusso from a car data check, also supported by having the DNA switch and chrome trim.

I ran the car through eper and it shows it as a 1.4 16V (Fire engine) in Distinctive trim (Jan 2010) but 78bhp and UK market car.

I understand that the 1.4 16v came in both flavours of 78bHp and 95bhp, some say the 95bhp was for the UK markets with most of europe getting the 78hp map. Others say the junior was the only 16v car sold in the UK with 78bhp.

Given eper is saying 78bhp and is from the horses mouth so to speak, what is the reality? Were they all made as 78bhp versions but changed to 95bhp map at PDI?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi, the 78bhp and 95bhp engines are completely different, the 95bhp motor has a 16 valve cylinder head and is an interference fit, this means that if your cam belt snaps or jumps on the sprockets the valves will hit the top of the pistons, but the 78bhp motor has an 8 valve head and it is a non interference fit, if the belt breaks there will be no damage to the head but the valves will need to be realigned with the crankshaft.
P.s just looked on the web and I can't find a single picture of the 78bhp mito's engine bay, the 95bhp mito has a black air filter box and a small chrome alfa romeo badge in the centre.
P.P.s just discovered that the 16v engine was produced in both 95 and 78bhp versions so the only way to prove it would be a dyno test, why do car companies make things so confusing for the buyer?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pookie, I just spoke to Alfa UK and they confirmed it is the 95bhp 1.4 16v arrangement.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well done, I only thought the 78bhp motor had 8 valves but looking at the mito junior on autotrader they have 16valve 78bhp engines, but no dna switch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts