Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought my third Alfa and looking for some advice. Any appreciated. I believe this car has a timing chain. The engine sounds a little diesely (not a word but sounds right). Hasnt been serviced in a couple of years. Does the timing belt need replacing? Just looking at? or tightening? Also I know the disk brakes are prone to rusting, so does anyone know of any better replacements that will last? Or also ajything that is worth gettimg checked in particularly. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could just be the air intake. I know when I put a new air filter on mine, it did sound "diesely" for a while.
Rust on the discs is no problem at all. Pretty common on any car if not used often. The rust should clear the more you use your brakes.

If you're totally unsure you could always go to a garage and ask them to check

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and good to hear. I am gonna put it into the garage in the first instance to make sure it gets done properly. Is it straight forward to service yourself? Have you any tips on getting the mpg up for around town driving as I am getting around 35mpg would like a bit more. Any parts or tuning that can be done?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Never serviced it myself so I can't help you there I'm afraid...
And I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that, I have the Cloverleaf 170bhp with a new k&n pod filter and a Ragazzon muffler delete exhaust, so my mpg is terrible because I like the sounds haha

As for parts and tuning, it depends what you're after really, theres the basics (as mentioned above) and remaps are always option, but anything more in depth can be difficult to find.
They're always out there though if you don't mind spending hours googling and translating.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Would be really interested in your feedback on this car OP. I'm looking at one of these for my son in the next couple of months.

Which version do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be really interested in your feedback on this car OP. I'm looking at one of these for my son in the next couple of months.

Which version do you have?
I have the distinctive 2012. Great car loving the feel of it. mpg isnt fantastic though, as I have said 35mpg around town and that is driving as slow as I can go. Unfortunately someone has bodged the exhaust on mine and a new one seems impossible to find. Dealer only around £600. Not many get broken up for spares so presume they are pretty solid.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
All the MiTo MPG figures were "Optimistic" .. we've got a 1.4 NA and the most we've ever got is 41mpg and that was on a longer gentle run up the A1M/A1. Around town, 34-35 max. That's also in D mode!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Not sure if you found the answer to your original query re the timing chain OP. I bought a 2013 Twin Air Live for my son yesterday and while looking in the servicing schedule, noted that the timing chain is recommended for replacement at 96 months. I didn't note the mileage, but would guess it would be around 80k miles.

How are you getting on with yours'?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts