Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a whirring wheel bearing type noise comming from the front - i think - on my 156 jts!! it occurs after 30mph and gets noisier the faster i go then goes away again at 50-60 mph. The noise is not related to engine as it still cocurs when i de clutch and roll at that speed. its not a diff whine type noise either. Car is comming up to 50 000 miles .Wheel bearings i hear you say. Well apparently not, i have just changed both front wheel bearings at great cost and effort and the noise is still there, i torqued them to exact method described, converted the torque from dNm to lb ft. Which was 95 lbs ft then plus 62 degrees . it sounds exactly like wheel bearing noise and i wondered if anyone has encountered this before and could give advice. These modern bearings don't tend to have play in them when they go like the good old days so its seems next to impossible to diagnose these other than swap and hope. Could it be the rears wheel bearings?? sound sounds like its from the front but again noise travels through the structure so again hard to tell. Is there a test i can perform to check the rears?
Please help its drivin me mad

cheers

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
what tyres have you got i had wanli on mine when i first bought the car it gave off this noise i was convinced it was bearings diff g box but is was just crap tyres

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
excellent thanks guys for your responses. tyres have been on there for 2 years and they were quiet, this problem occurred more recently than the after the tyres had been on there a while.
The bearing in the ancillery bracket is a good call though, i didn't think of that is this easy to check/change, any idea of cost, i will do work myself.
cheers

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would start at the tyres. More often than not it can be uneven wear that causes speed-related noises, so if your tyres have been on a while it's more than likely.

Can you rotate them/borrow a set of wheels with new tyres off a mate/etc to try and diagnose it further before throwing more money at it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers,
Yes i can do this, its worth a try i suppose. I was convinced it was wheel bearing though, and i am sick that it wasnt. although i changed them so no labour charge they still cost me over £100 to buy!!
i fitted poly anti roll bar bushes on the front and i know these do transmit noise more than rubber ones but again the noise starting didn't correspond with the fitting of these.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just spoke to my local main dealer, i wanted 1/2 hour of a mechanics time to sit in the car and have a listen for me then give me some advice but they wanted to book me in for 3 hours but they will only charge me for the time that they genuinely spend looking for it! Oh yeah sign me up then!!!! Not!!!! Maybe i'm being unfair maybe they are absolutely genuine but i'm affraid no matter what i will be charged £300 for 3 hours and get a "sorry we can't find the problem"! if the posts on this website are anything to go by its reasonable to expect that i will be left high and dry! - sorry for this rant but i am really fed up at the moment!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( :( :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts