Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always dreamed of owning an old Alfa.
With a bit of luck/courage I might buy this car,in my knowledge the only one in Romania.
At the moment the asking price is 700 euros,but the car has absolutely no documents.What do you think,what would be a fair(read-bargain) price for it,and what's your oppinion on it's condition ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The word "shack" appears in the webpage address, which pretty much sums up its condition from the picture. The running board hanging off like that doesn't bode well. Does the engine run? Anything else to give us any clues as to how long it has been sat around.

Without any knowledge of the Romanian vehicle licensing system I would think lack of documents is going to be another big problem - I don't know how much you would have to "pay" an official to make some documents appear.

With that in mind it is probably only useful as a mechanical parts car, offer to tow it away and not charge them for it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've only been able to talk to the owner's wife so far,there's a problem indeed with the papers,as the previous owner-a friend of the couple that owns it now- brought it from Italy some years ago and passed away in the meantime.All connections were lost,no documents etc.A bit strange.
She's been there as seen in the pic for the last three years,the engine was last starded 18 months ago_Or at least that's what the lady said to me.She also said that the car was involved in 4X4 rallying,both in Italy and Romania.
The bonnet buldge woories me.This means that probably she's not running anymore on the original engine. :(

D

·
0 Posts
Hi,

I don't mean to break your dream, but this car looks more like a nightmare if I may.
No paper + more rust than metal, I can hardly imagine that the engine is sound...

Sorry mate

Andre

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
would be good to save and the labour costs of doing it up in Romania would be minimal.
They dont have running boards, as far as I know (maybe some did?), so just hack them off!
Being only one of 2000 built (the government then went for the Fiat equivalent...probably a back-hander involved somewhere!), they fetch between 5000 and 10000 euros when you find a nice-to-a-very-good one, and usually offered for sale in Italy. But without the original in-line motor, i wouldn't buy it.
Beauty of the motor is the dry sump! exotic for a jeep thingy!
paperwork is possible...need a legally stamped statement from the present owner that it was brought over many years ago, and the papers were lost. No problem in Germany (so shouldn't be one in Romania). They check the vehicle stolen lists, that's all.....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've asked around and indeed,not the lack of documents would be the main concern.What matters is if she's as close to original as posible,and I've also decided that without the original engine she's not worth the hastle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts