Car dealer costs 'nearly double'

Examples are

Volkswagen 95% from £51 to £100
BMW 85% from £62 to £116
Volvo 79% from £62 to £112
Land Rover 77% from £57 to £101
Alfa Romeo 66% from £49 to £83
Source: Warranty Direct

Depends on where you live but costs are generally going through the roof.

Cars getting more reliable (Alfas included!!) may mean they are putting their hourly rate up more and more.

The item also stated
"Manufacturers' warranties now stretch for longer periods than was the case five years ago, but with the built-in proviso that all servicing is carried out at a franchise dealer.As a result, new car buyers are tied to dealers, and are therefore forced to pay higher charges for a longer period than was the case in the past."

"It's ironic that as new car prices have tumbled, squeezing dealer profit margins on the way, labour rates have rocketed,"

Has anyone experience using an independant garage for routine work then get warranty work done at a Main Dealer?

G

·
I don't think those figures are what your average punter would pay, probably the charge to warranty direct....well, not with the price quoted for Alfa anyway. My local dealer (and others) have been charging £80+vat for aaages now :confused:

wrinx

·
Registered
734 Posts
wrinx said:
I don't think those figures are what your average punter would pay, probably the charge to warranty direct....well, not with the price quoted for Alfa anyway. My local dealer (and others) have been charging £80+vat for aaages now :confused:

wrinx
Agreed, my pet dealer charges £79+vat per hour and has always charged that much.

JaB

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Couple of intersting points perhaps;
1. I has told by a Mazda dealer that it is now Law that they can not insist that the service work is carried out by the Dealer, only that the Parts are bought with the original part codes, which the dealers are obliged to give you. You do have to have the Car serviced by a profesional Garage and use those parts, but it need not be a dealer.
2. I am I the only one who thinks the inflation figures are a total sham?, they just pick and choose what they want to put into the Price index system, so deliberatly use items which show a better result, therefore showing the Government in a better light. The real cost of living including, interst rates, Fuel, Insurance, Utilities, Tax, Council Tax etc, is more like 5 to 7 percent.

Anybody tried to buy Steel recently, monthly price rises of about 20 percent!!!!!!, this will push the price of all products made of Steel in this country through the Roof.
I bet it kills MG Rover... :(

G

·
The Mazda dealer is right, don't know the exact details but there is a new EU law going thru/gone thru which stops the monopoly on servicing work.

wrinx

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
True but with Alfas in the UK, the third year is a dealer warranty, so although the 2 yr manufacturer warranty will be ok, the 3rd year won't be!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wrinx said:
The Mazda dealer is right, don't know the exact details but there is a new EU law going thru/gone thru which stops the monopoly on servicing work.

wrinx
Correct I think.

This was mentioned on the BBC radio broadcast but not on the web.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IanM said:
Anybody tried to buy Steel recently, monthly price rises of about 20 percent!!!!!!, this will push the price of all products made of Steel in this country through the Roof.
I bet it kills MG Rover... :(
Yes. I think the chinese market is buying it all and whereas there was too much capacity recently now there's not enough to go around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts