Alfa Romeo Forum banner

alfa madness

Tags
madness
2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  gtachris 
#1 ·
I must have a bad case o this as i have just taken my Lreg for an mot and been quoted £630 for nessecary repairs and full service. Amazingly i agreed even though it is probably more than the value of the car.

#5 ·
Yes, on the face of it, its a fair bit.
I'll give some very rough estimates of my own.
Full service- £140 or £180 with spark plugs.
MOT- £44.
2* outer CV joint gaiters- £55
Suspension joint (wishbone+tracking)- £75
Front discs and pads- £120-£150
Light fault (? hard to guess)- £40.

OK, by my rough figuring, at most is about £514, and at best £474,

That would be based on £30 per hour rate, and inclusive of VAT.

I'm assuming that you'll only be charged for 1 MOT- car left at test station for repair. Still, it falls a bit short of the £630 estimate you've been given. (Remember, estimates are not quotes, and therefore not prior agreed prices such as you would pay for motor insurance.)

Still, as some of the labour operations could be combined, I think it could be done for a little less.

#8 ·
Ralf S. said:
£30 an hour...????

Blinkin' flip dude.. pound a minute minimum, down here in the land of the long-trousers.

Ralf S.
!!! Thankfully, we've still got people charging £30 - £40 / hr in the South West. I haven't used a main dealer for years, I was absolutely astounded when I found out there were dealers trying (and succeeding!) in charging £100+ / hr for under trained kids to plug a diagnostic kit in and fail to diagnose the problem :rant: :rant:

G
#9 ·
Ha!
Cheap was the cry from the North. I was charged £730 for:-

New Front Disks
New Pads all round
New brake lines all round
New O/S/F Suspension droplink
New rear silencer rubber mount
8 hours labour @ £54 per hour

but wait theres more

New Brake lines not fitted
New Rear silencer rubber not fitted
ABS connectors not re-fitted (dangerous)
Pad wear sensors not re-fitted
Handbrake not adjusted.

This was done by Lyles Alfa Romeo in Newcastle aledgedly Brian Lyle was the first man to import an Alfa to the UK.

#10 ·
£730!!?? :eek: :eek:

That's about the most expensive discs and pads I've ever heard of.

I suppose they were good enough to give it a free wash? :cheese: :lol: In all seriousness though, that's exactly the thing which dents consumers' confidence in the motor trade and is exactly why dealers perform worst of all in the satisfaction surveys.

At this point would it be ok to draw attention to http://www.uccc.co.uk/ as I'm not plugging one particular business?

#13 ·
Also, at least over here it's the law, you are entitled to the parts they have replaced, so you can check for yourself if the repairs were necessary.

G
#16 ·
Well I was told before I bought my Alfa I may as well dig a big hole and throw money down it every time I pass. Owning an alfa on the other hand you get to reep the benefits, Such as being able to break every UK speed limit at the top end of 2nd and I still havent found a hot hatch or naturally aspirated saloon that can keep up with me.

I LOVE MY TWINNY

#17 ·
cossiekiller said:
Well I was told before I bought my Alfa I may as well dig a big hole and throw money down it every time I pass. Owning an alfa on the other hand you get to reep the benefits, Such as being able to break every UK speed limit at the top end of 2nd and I still havent found a hot hatch or naturally aspirated saloon that can keep up with me.

I LOVE MY TWINNY
pleased your still ahppy with your 155, they are fantastic aren't they :)
I'm very surprised to hear the shambles lyles made, they used to have a good name when i was up north, sad to hear they have gone downhill. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.