Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong i'd probably rather loose an arm than own one of the dullest cars on the road but jeezus the figures for this thing are staggering. Alfa are in the dark ages in comparison....imagine this engine in a 159ti....i'd probably never change car again :wow:

Then again nobody buys Alfa's for the performance anymore :rolleyes:

BMW 330d review | New Car Reviews - Times Online

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The only thing dull about the 330D is the body. Everything else about that car is just supreme. I have only driven the 320D and thought that everything from the interior finish, driving position and performance was just impressive. The interiors are much nicer than the previous model and although they still look bland in comparison to a 159, they are miles nicer than an A4 for example.

Even though the BMW has better engines, better quality and rear wheel drive, it has one of the most hatefull designs ever to come out of Frankfhurt. Thank God people with taste will always choose the 159!!! :D

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I was talking to a guy at the weekend with a 330 coupe that needs replacing and although he agrees that BMW's are common as muck and dull as ditch water he just can't find anything that is better.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
That's a fantastic engine for performance and economy, shame about the price and body though, I could never bring myself to part with £30K and drive home in a 3 series... I'd feel shafted despite the engine :(

Now if they could come up with a really nice body... no forget it, they had their chance in the Z4 coupe and look at the price and looks of that.

We need that engine in another manufacturers' bodywork. Then I'd have to make the conversion to driving a black stuff engine :eek:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Disagree though on the Z4 coupe, to my mind it is a very good car which mixes decent looks and performance. It's certainly to my eyes the best of the Bangle BMs (that might be what's callled damning with faint praise though ;) I must admit I quite fancy one and I don't actually think that they're all that expensive are they ?

RSK
Damn right, the Z4 M Coupe is one of the finest looking new cars on the road, especially in that nice blue they come in.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Alfa really need to learn quickly ... they need to bring out top end models to there cars with some serious BHP ... they need to have something that will match the BMW M series and the Audi RS series ... even the new ford focus ST will have 280bhp ... :rolleyes:

(btw one of my mates has got 530d and on paper it looks good, but in reality it is rubbish ... he tried to show it off to me ... then I showed him my what my 156 would do ...)

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
I don't mind the newest shape 3 series TBH. Especially the coupe.

There was one parked near my house the other day, Whilst it isn't stunning to look at it does look pretty good for a beemer.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
It does look good performance wise, BUT....

For the MSport model its £34k
The 159 2.4Ti is around 25k isnt it? Thats a fair chunk less.

Also worth considering is if the real world drivers get the claimed mpg, after all Alfa claim 42 for the 2.4 159, although I know from here that most struggle to get that.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Aye! The Bimmer donkey is impressive.. but it does cost £10k more than the 159.. I dunno if it's worth it. The article says, BMW fixed something they didn't really need to. 159 seems to me to offer superior value.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the 159ti and will probably own one shortly but i think the engine could have been better especially when you see what Zer Germans are doing with their 2.0, 2.5 & 3.0 units.

Nothing a good diet and some hours in the Alfa gym wouldn't sort out.....

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
I think whoever said that German cars were long on engineering but short on passion was spot on.

I have a feeling it was a certain Mr Clarkson.

I think most of us on here would put up with the 159's foibles just for the way it looks compared to the opposition.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think whoever said that German cars were long on engineering but short on passion was spot on.

I have a feeling it was a certain Mr Clarkson.
If I was the CEO of BMW i'd subcontract the car design to pinfarina or bertone....that said Mercedes are getting their act together...the latest C class is tidy....but alas another promising design falls apart at the rear......what is it with the rear of cars these days.....they are all a mess :lol: ...Alfa apart

·
Registered
184 Posts
So a BMW is £10k more to buy. And how much more is it worth after 3 years? More than the £10k at the start. I've tried very hard to hate BMW's, but they drive so well you can't :lol: They (3 and 5 series) look good with the right wheel choice, they're reliable and return better mpg.

Right where's the BMW owners forum :lol:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They (3 and 5 series) look good with the right wheel choice, they're reliable and return better mpg.
:
The M Spec just about saves a dogs dinner but not really looking good...put it next to a Ti then you really see what a design disaster it is....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts