Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I test drove my GTA wagon...

We had a c180 rental...
The new ones, Im not going to list all technology of that car but Numen can confirm I was gobsmacked by the new 2014 Merc...and that was poverty spec model...

wow...where is Alfa at?

·
Registered
938 Posts
i had a Stilo before the Alfa, the optional extras on a 2001 stilo, headlights that follow the road(long before merc had the option) heads up display, and a crap load of extras u could get with a stilo, now if u take the price of a merc compared to stilo, should get all the extras for all that extra cash
even the Blue efficiency and all that crap was called black motion in Italy (Italians dont like cars that cant idle at a robot) they had it in one stilo model 2001 and soled it to vag and co
so no we are not behind, and to be honest the less gadgets the better the drive

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
You comparing a car built in 2003/2008 to something Merc built 2014? Thats like comparing a strawberry to an orange.

Compare the Giulia next year to the Merc of next year. That will be a better comparison than a old GTA wagon vs a new Merc

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
We had a c180 rental...
The new ones, Im not going to list all technology of that car but Numen can confirm I was gobsmacked by the new 2014 Merc...and that was poverty spec model...
they are nice - no doubt. But that poverty spec model will still set you back half a bar...for a C class?! And the depreciation on that will make you weep.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i have a friends 2000 c220 in the back i still have to fix:cry: i hate working on german cars
compare that to a 156 of the same year, you will be shocked to c how far Alfa is head

·
Registered
938 Posts
oh all the german cars i saw this morning driving Luca to school, had no indicators and were unable to stop at a stop sign, german advanced tec my ass:cheese:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Best engine awards, highest safety ratings in their class, ..... hmmm, these are not gadgets, this is what (in my book) makes for a good car. Alfas have always been at the top of the game in the things that REALLY matter...

C

·
0 Posts
You comparing a car built in 2003/2008 to something Merc built 2014? Thats like comparing a strawberry to an orange.

Compare the Giulia next year to the Merc of next year. That will be a better comparison than a old GTA wagon vs a new Merc
The giulia will probably get Chrysler gadgetry seeing that they are found in Maseratis. One just needs to pop into a Chrysler dealer, check out their highend models' gadgets then go next door and check out the latest C Class .
Here's to hoping they will atleast have different aesthetics , Chrysler and Alfa's that is

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think it boils down to what you need in a car. A good salesman at the Centurion dealership (not TN god forbid) showed me the merc gargets including intelligent this and intelligent that, impressive staff I must say. But I would rather have a car that drives nice, is safe, comfortable and not boring than to have a blinding 72inch screen in the dashboard full of icons I do not need that have nothing to do with driving.

I love Mercs though.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I think it boils down to what you need in a car. A good salesman at the Centurion dealership (not TN god forbid) showed me the merc gargets including intelligent this and intelligent that, impressive staff I must say. But I would rather have a car that drives nice, is safe, comfortable and not boring than to have a blinding 72inch screen in the dashboard full of icons I do not need that have nothing to do with driving.

I love Mercs though.
AMEN

I also like Merc.... BUT I love Alfa

·
Registered
569 Posts
Last night I test drove my GTA wagon...

We had a c180 rental...

wow...where is Alfa at?
No amount of tea in China would make me willingly drive a C180.

One needs to ask do we NEED all these gadgets in cars, do many of enhance the driving experience.

FYI, I had a drive in a 2014 Maserati QP GTS V8 twin turbo...I suspect some of lesser components in there could be seen in Alfa's......in maybe 10 years.:lol:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Rather give us a real life comparison between a 4C and Merc A45. Same price class. And I am not interested about crap hung on the cars.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Alfa Romeo has always been right at the top in the game where technology is concerned and if you don't get that then you are not well versed in their history. Probably because you aren't one for heritage and all that, but now you see why we have the passion. :thumbs:

We do not get the top of the range models in SA either. For example we did not get the 159 with the rear dual zone climate control fitted. As well as a lot of other features.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Rather give us a real life comparison between a 4C and Merc A45. Same price class. And I am not interested about crap hung on the cars.
There is no comparison, one is something truly beautiful, it makes you feel special from the moment you look at, to the moment you climb out and admire the shape.

The other has a bespoke engine but little else, a shape that is shared with lesser models. In fact perhaps there are similar looking taxi's in Stuttgart.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I love the A45AMG..

Having driven one I can tell you it absolutely hauls!!! I suspect its a bit faster than my 4C! But it makes me feel numb inside! The 4C gets my hart going tho!

But back to OP.. We will have to wait for the Giulia before comparing current Alfa's to 2014 Mercs tho.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Alfa has always been at the forefront of technology, where it matters.
No need for superfluous gadgetry to distract the driver and ruin the driving experience.

Besides...Mercs are for ballies! (Now, I'm in trouble...)

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The other has a bespoke engine but little else, a shape that is shared with lesser models. In fact perhaps there are similar looking taxi's in Stuttgart.
You'll have the Deutsches Taxiverein on your head if you're not careful! You should know that the only car good enough to be a German taxi is a Mercedes E-Class :tut: :lol:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok before I read everything else...where do you see me comparing a GTA to a 2014 merc??? lmfao...im saying I went to test the GTA...while this was happening we had a drive in a c180 Merc and it made me realize that Alfa is laggging.. waaaaa val jy yt PB?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts