Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently experimenting with my new car. Had it for a couple of weeks now, and am loving it in D mode. When my missus drives the car, I leave it in N mode. Which is the best for fuel around town and parkway roads? I've read a few threads on here, but find they confusing, as there are lots of contradictions.

·
Registered
497 Posts
N for town driving and stop start traffic (D doesnt lend its to stop start at all)

D for open road and motorways as I find you have to use the accelerator in N for longer to speed up where as its much more fluid in D.

Everyone has a different perception/opinion anyways, the best thing to do it experiment and find out for yourself which modes are best suited for what situations.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I find it quite nice to keep D in reserve when I'm commuting . Occasionally I forget , and it's a nice surprise.
Exactly :thumbs: - keep it reserved for when you need it.

I can make mine fly in 'N', and mine's only a 1.6 JTDM for heavens sake, so where this talk of having to drive in 'D' all the time comes from - I just don't know :confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Argo
I find N sluggish and the steering is just too light, with a lack of control. I prefer the steering in D. If I could have the steering of D on N, it may improve things. In D you can point the car where you want and it goes there. Basically, D drives like an Alfa should. N drives like my dad's Audi A2. ��

R

·
0 Posts
Driving in D is not really necessary, I only use D in 3rd gear or above, and switch it off when I know I'm going back into first. It is far too frantic for the lower gears and the car has plenty of power in the first 3 gears. Argo, I know exactly where you are coming from but D in the 2 litre car is another level. Probably wastes more fuel than your car but corner to corner you will go much faster, have more speed to kill off when you get there and then another large application of throttle to go back to where you were! On good back roads it's like having your own personal rally!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Argo, I know exactly where you are coming from but D in the 2 litre car is another level. Probably wastes more fuel than your car but corner to corner you will go much faster, have more speed to kill off when you get there and then another large application of throttle to go back to where you were! On good back roads it's like having your own personal rally!
Thing is, even driven normally along country roads, I now and again hear this thud from the passenger side and realize my passenger has just whacked the door panel - due to me not slowing for a right-hander. :lol:

I'm going to get serious complaints if they start hitting it any harder so think I need to stay away from 'D' :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts