Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insurance renewal is due shortly having changed from a Jag S type 2.7D to a 166 TS Lusso (F/L model).

According to Parkers, the Jag is insurance group 41 while the Alfa is 29, so I thought insurance would be cheaper. Well I was wrong. My existing insurer (the AA) sent me a renewal quote that was more than double the Jag premium. going on comparethemarket, the cheapest quote for the 166 is 30% higher than a comparable quote for the old Jag.

Of course the Alfa's worth it, but isn't it strange?

·
Registered
945 Posts
My insurance renewal is due shortly having changed from a Jag S type 2.7D to a 166 TS Lusso (F/L model).

According to Parkers, the Jag is insurance group 41 while the Alfa is 29, so I thought insurance would be cheaper. Well I was wrong. My existing insurer (the AA) sent me a renewal quote that was more than double the Jag premium. going on comparethemarket, the cheapest quote for the 166 is 30% higher than a comparable quote for the old Jag.

Of course the Alfa's worth it, but isn't it strange?
quick guess at perception of parts availability etc.?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Query that with them and get the reasons. If they don't want to give you reasons, tell them you'll take your business elsewhere. They'll soon come around.

Insurers like to just make stuff up, because 90% of the clients never query. My experience has been that once you do start asking questions, the price miraculously suddenly comes down.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Query that with them and get the reasons. If they don't want to give you reasons, tell them you'll take your business elsewhere. They'll soon come around.

Insurers like to just make stuff up, because 90% of the clients never query. My experience has been that once you do start asking questions, the price miraculously suddenly comes down.
I'm paying just shy of £190 fully comp, protected etc. and that includes a NFC in the past 3 years whilst driving the wife's FR

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Go to comparison sites such as the Meercat one. 9 yrs no claims Alfa 166 2.0 T/S £262 protected.
See i've got similar details well 10+ years. Protected with direct line but I do alot of miles and don't live in the best of area's. So its £380 a year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I did query it but as you are normally only talking to brokers, not insurance companies, they can't answer for the insurance companies. They can only repeat what they see on their screens! Brokers can typically only show discretion over the size of their fee.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Less than £100 difference between my Brera and a Punto 1.3 Easy, so the deals are out there if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Interesting difference between the brokers in the UK and here in South Africa then. I have found that specifically talking to the broker does make that "miraculous" decrease in premiums happen.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Less than £100 difference between my Brera and a Punto 1.3 Easy, so the deals are out there if you look hard enough.
yes, there are good deals but that's not my point - it was the difference in premiums between a Jag and an Alfa that caught my attention.

·
Registered
316 Posts
yes, there are good deals but that's not my point - it was the difference in premiums between a Jag and an Alfa that caught my attention.
And my point was that if you look hard enough you may well find that that difference becomes much smaller. I understand what you're saying about insurance group, but personally I've never found them to be much of a guide anyway.

·
AO Traders
604 Posts
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Unfortunately whilst the official ABI car group may give you an indication every insurer has there own take on what vehicles they do or don't like. If for example they have had lots of claims on Alfas then maybe they want to rate them higher than the official grouping etc. Ownership also plays a big part. Generally the longer you have owned a car claim free the bigger discounts you get. We find that statistically with us you're more likely to claim if you have owned a vehicle for under 6 months than for one that has been owned say 2 years.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Unfortunately whilst the official ABI car group may give you an indication every insurer has there own take on what vehicles they do or don't like. If for example they have had lots of claims on Alfas then maybe they want to rate them higher than the official grouping etc. Ownership also plays a big part. Generally the longer you have owned a car claim free the bigger discounts you get. We find that statistically with us you're more likely to claim if you have owned a vehicle for under 6 months than for one that has been owned say 2 years.
Regards,
Dan.
Thanks Dan, it makes a bit more sense now. I've used you guys in the past so I'll be giving you a call.

Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts