Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can offer help on the following please:-

On Tuesday, I was heading off for the airport early doors and noticed n/s dip beam and main beam were not working. Used fog lights to get to destination.

Coming back home late last night, n/s dip beam and main beam did not work but flashed on and off a few times intermittantly and then ceased altogether.

Today I checked the bulbs, both were ok. Checked the fuses under the bonnet, n/s main beam fuse (10amp I think) had blown. Replaced.

On checking wiring, the plug that fits into the rear of the headlight unit had chafed wires against a poorly positioned jubilee clip holding the air pipe to the (I think) air filter box below the headlight. Three of the wires were actualy exposed and there were burn marks on them indicating shorting (presumably the lights flashing symptom).

I insulated the wires with tape as a temporary fix, correctly refitted the jubilee so it wouldnt chafe any more. The main beam now works find but the l/h dip still doesnt work. I will take the light unit out tomorrow to check the continuity of the wires leading from the plug to the dip bulb holder, but was wondering if there is another fuse in the car that could have blown of if there is anything else I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance..........................PhillH :thumbs:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn't know if there were any more fuses. Will check that out, thank you. PhillH

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All sorted, it was the second fuse I checked in the fuse panel under the drivers side of the dash.

Thanks again for the help, as usual Alfaowner.com has come up trumps.

It might be an idea to check other Alfa GTs to make sure you dont have the same problem as I encountered in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts