Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
stunning the pleasure you get from doing this to this standard its really satisfying, Only wish i had time money and skill to do this all in one go, Mine has been done although in stages while on the car and not to this standard

well done

·
Registered
699 Posts
Can't fail to get a little bit excited to see it all done to a level that's way beyond my level of effort.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
That is very nice. I wouldn't want to get it dirty though.. Awesome effort that

Here's mine but all done on the ramp with all new powder coated parts and Powerflex bushes.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's very impressive, looks amazing. I'd love to get mine looking that good but plenty of other stuff to sort first!

That's a nice exhaust PJ3074, what is it?

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,658 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow! Impressive restoration! I´m keeping those images as they are the best to describe and identify components of our rear suspension that I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Impressive restoration! I´m keeping those images as they are the best to describe and identify components of our rear suspension that I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the comments. If you are thinking of refurbishing the rear suspension, it really is much easier to take out the rear subframe. You just take off the rear exhaust, disconnect the rear brakes and handbrake cable, and 4 bolts later it is off the car. A sand blasting cabinet made cleaning up the parts much easier!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have now finished the rear suspension refurb, and will be reinstalling in the GTV this week.
It looks like you used original bushes rather than Powerflex. Did you press them in yourself or did you buy new spring pans and dog legs?

If you did press them in would you please tell me your technique. I have had a lot of trouble putting some of them in. I am at the point where I will place the bushes in the freezer before hand and heat the suspension components before pressing.

Help needed. :depressed:

Thank you

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Noob here, can someone explain what exactly are we looking at here in noob terms? refurbished original parts or what?
Both..

Refurbished items are typically sub frame, suspension arms and pans. Plus brake calipers. Media blast and powder coated.

Everything else new.. Dampers, Springs, Bushes, Spring Cups, Bump Stops, Drop Links, Discs, Pads, Hoses etc. etc.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Didn't realise that the sub frame could be blasted and powder coated!

For some reason I had it in my head that it was a soft metal as you hear of issues with the sub frame wearing when the bushes wear out. Only now I think of it, that's really stupid.... :doh:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Didn't realise that the sub frame could be blasted and powder coated!

For some reason I had it in my head that it was a soft metal as you hear of issues with the sub frame wearing when the bushes wear out. Only now I think of it, that's really stupid.... :doh:
It's aloo minum (for Americans :lol:) probably an aqua blast would be the preference.

You fit PU bushes to also stop rubbing as they don't degrade like rubber ones, then it's the arms that themselves that start to bite in.

The OP's project here is real craft and great for us to see.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's aloo minum (for Americans :lol:) probably an aqua blast would be the preference.

You fit PU bushes to also stop rubbing as they don't degrade like rubber ones, then it's the arms that themselves that start to bite in.

The OP's project here is real craft and great for us to see.
I took the suspension arms to a local friendly garage, who pressed out the original bushes and put the new ones in (just cost a couple of beers)! I didn't use powerflex bushes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Original bushes are the way to go if you want the suspension to work how it was designed to. PU bushes are not an upgrade just easier to do for the DIY er.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts