Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have replaced the Heater Blower Fan and it does not work when connected.

Resistor Pack is A OK tested with current and does not break down.

Fan work when powered with 12V. Currently being operated by cigarette lighter and cable.

Checked the ouput at fan connection with engine running getting a healthy 14V. With the switch in all on positions 1 2 3 & 4.

Connected Fan and Checked the output from Resitor Pack and nothing. Breaking down under load???

Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My initial suspicion is the speed selector switch.

Incidentally, wiring can vary between TS & V6, aircon or heater and early or late phase 1. There are lots of permutations! If this test isn't conclusive, can you supply :

TS or V6?
Heater or aircon?
Late or early phase 1? ( early phase 1s go to VIN number ZAR91600006023907 ).

Anyway here's a test :

1. With a piece of suitable wire connect the resistor side of the fan to ground ( depending on the car, you may need the ignition on ). The fan should operate at full speed. There's not much debate on this as you say you have a good input voltage to the fan, so it will run!

2. On the resistor pack there will be in total 4 wires ( Black-Blue - from the fan, White, Grey and Green ). Connect green to ground. The fan should operate on speed 3.

3. Connect the Grey wire to ground and the fan should operate at speed 2

4. Finally connect the white wire to ground and the fan should operate at speed 1.

If all those work OK the likelihood is that you have a loom failure between the resistor pack and the speed switch or the speed switch itself has a fault. The other possibility is a bad earth.

To check the earth :
Do the heater dials illuminate when the car's lights are on? If so the earth is OK as is connector G43 ( which is near the clutch pedal ).

Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Actually, the colours of the wires may vary depending on your car. However, the resistor pack has a 4 way multiconnector. Connecting each of the four wires in that connector in turn to earth/ground should result in the fan running at the 4 speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi PKR,

Cheers for the detailed direction. I will give that a go at the weekend. I was rather hoping it would not be the switch, as I replaced it 3 years ago. It was blindingly obvious that time as it graunched and was stiff to operate that time. I will have totally rebuilt the darn thing the way I am going. The engine is still sweet as nut at 130,000! Love or hate them! Unfortunately my head tells me one thing and my heart always wins! lol

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts