Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently an owner of a 156 T spark, but have been toying with my potential next Alfa - and I've whittled it down to three - the 916 GTV or Spider, Or the GT. The GT wins me over on being newer, nicer in the cloverleaf or blackline guise and more practical - but the 147 dash puts me off - and the rarity of the 3.2s / costs involved. The GTV seems more special, better place to sit and more sports car like.

So its the GTV - as a single bloke, with no attachments or what have you, I was wondering - boot space, or rear seat space - which I don't intend to put people in - is it enough for a suitcase for me, general nick-nacks etc, or if indeed I do plan a weekend or week long getaway? Basically, is it adequate for a single blokes ownership. And the spider I understand has the cubbyhole behind the seats..is that quite expansive?

D

·
0 Posts
I've had both. GTV definitely feels more sporty and looks amazing in the right spec and colour. Timeless in fact but I prefer how the GT drives. The GTV is fine for a single bloke. Just don't be putting any adults in the back for too long ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Are there more GTV with V6 engines available than GT 3.2's? That does surprise me if so

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had both. GTV definitely feels more sporty and looks amazing in the right spec and colour. Timeless in fact but I prefer how the GT drives. The GTV is fine for a single bloke. Just don't be putting any adults in the back for too long ;)
Yes, Teledials and the right colour - definitely a phase 2 interior! I'll have to drive a GT to see how it feels, I was just concerned I might feel like I'm sat high up if you know what I mean - rather than low slung and cocooned as you do in 2+2 or 2 seater cars such as the GTV. Guess I can chuck other things on the back seats rather than people, and get rid of the spare tyre in the back!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there more GTV with V6 engines available than GT 3.2's? That does surprise me if so
Well I'm not quite sure, But I only ever see two or four ever on sale nationally after browsing for many months in a variety of small ads.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't feel too high up in the GT. Seats are definitively more comfortable...although my drivers side heated seat doesn't work dammit haha. I've got mine sort of for sale. I say sort of as not massively fussed if it doesn't sell hence no official ad. I'm in Nottingham if any good to you?

I quite like the phase 3 GTV. I know many didn't. One of those in silver with red leather would be a dream GTV for me. The 3.2 engine in it is a big plus point

·
Registered
38,463 Posts
The GTV is better rust proofed than the GT.

Might be a consideration, unless you enjoy welding up rear floor panels.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Owned both (well a 916 Spider) and at the same time. Neither a V6 though.
I liked them both for different reasons.
Never had any suspension creaks and groans with the 916 (still have that).
The seats in the GT are the best ever seats I have sat in. Both have a hard ride but I think the 916 is slightly better.

Between a GTV Busso and a GT Busso I would struggle to choose. Both bloody good cars.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have both, GT in the derv all be it pushing 250 BHP, so busso power with diesel economy, and a PH1 2.0 GTV totally stock.

the GT is far more practical for sure and feels more modern inside, the seats are just fantastic! so comfy on any length of trip.

that said the GTV is utterly charming, has enough room for two kids under 5ft 4 in the back, with no issues, even in the 2.0 I think the GTV is the more engaging drive on B roads, being a bit nimbler, the twinnie suits it well BTW, don't feel you need to buy a V6, I think a re-mapped and moderately breathed on Phase 2 TS may well be the pick of the bunch from a drivers perspective.

the only place I think the GTV falls down in the twinnie is that for me its too high up the rev range on the m-way so whenever I am doing longer journeys the GT is absolutely the car of choice.

with room for 2 cars I would have what I have, the derv GT and a TS GTV...(although it looks like I will be adding a 916 spider to those 2!)

as an only car though for me personally it would have to be a GTV in V6 guise with the caveat that it must have a quaife and a mileage low enough that its reliable but high enough that I don't feel as if i am running a classic into an early grave.

one on ebay at the moment with 173k on the clock..2k but the guy would take offers I think..vela blue...might be worth a punt if the engine is sound..?

good luck and let us know what you decide...:thumbup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've had a GTV Twinspark and now got a GT JTDm. Never been in either V6.
The GTV is more go-kart nimble, but more tiring on longer journeys with a harsher ride. I got plenty of compliments at the time.
The GT is a really practical hatch and almost as much fun to drive (with a remap ;) ). Most comfy seats I've ever owned.
I always appreciated the short depth of boot in the GTV as it keeps your shopping bags upright!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts