Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa owners!

I am writing to you as a member of alfaholicy.org, Poland. I would like to ask you a few questions about Gtv Cup, because I've just bought one and it occurred that my car... shoudn't exist! I own Alfa Gtv Cup 2.0 TS in Rosso Alfa paint. On your Gtv list i can see that, "my number" - 038 is owned by someone else. How coud it be explained? I've also heard, that Gtv Cups for Europe were only in silver paint. Somewhere I've seen an opinion, that in Italy they produced also a small series of Cups, beginning from number "0" again. But in fact, my car is from Switzerland.

Maybe You can help me, because i can't find any valuable informations on the net.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hello Alfa owners!

I am writing to you as a member of alfaholicy.org, Poland. I would like to ask you a few questions about Gtv Cup, because I've just bought one and it occurred that my car... shoudn't exist! I own Alfa Gtv Cup 2.0 TS in Rosso Alfa paint. On your Gtv list i can see that, "my number" - 038 is owned by someone else. How coud it be explained? I've also heard, that Gtv Cups for Europe were only in silver paint. Somewhere I've seen an opinion, that in Italy they produced also a small series of Cups, beginning from number "0" again. But in fact, my car is from Switzerland.

Maybe You can help me, because i can't find any valuable informations on the net.
Can you post pictures of the car and also the Serie Limitata plate on the dashboard.
I assume the car is left hand Drive ?

All the UK plates have red text so I guess yours would be in black ?
Is the text (the writing) in red or black ?

Another mystery to solve !!
Welcome
Alan

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
As far as I am aware the Cup never came with the twinspark engine, the european Cups had a 2.0 V6 that was turbo charged and they were all silver.

Post up some pictures and we can have a look :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for replies.
I'll give you a link to my thread on alfaholicy.org - it will be probably easier:
Alfa Romeo Gtv Cup no.038
I haven't got photos of the interior now - but the the letters on the plate are black. All other equipment matches with the Cup version including leather-material seats and silver-chrome dashboard. Brakes are from Brembo - and final exhaust is from version 3.0 with oval muffler tip.
I thought, that there were only 2.0 TS silver Cups.

I'll also add that colour on the plate is Rosso Alfa and engine number on the plate matches with the one under hood ;)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks for replies.
I'll give you a link to my thread on alfaholicy.org - it will be probably easier:
Alfa Romeo Gtv Cup no.038
I haven't got photos of the interior now - but the the letters on the plate are black. All other equipment matches with the Cup version including leather-material seats and silver-chrome dashboard. Brakes are from Brembo - and final exhaust is from version 3.0 with oval muffler tip.
I thought, that there were only 2.0 TS silver Cups.

I'll also add that colour on the plate is Rosso Alfa and engine number on the plate matches with the one under hood ;)
Thanks for the link.
Its very interesting to see.
The black lettering on the Serie Limitata plate certainly mean its European.
It will be interesting to see the inside of the car.

I do note that the front lower spoiler is the not the "Cup " version.
I attach a picture of yours and mine as a comparision.
So thats one mystery.

The GTV Cup badge is on the right hand side at the rear (as you look at it) which is not the normal style of the UK Red Cups or the Silver "Cups" that I have seen - see pictures attached.
So thats an interesting and different point to consider.

I look forward to seeing the inside pictures of the car.
Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that the position of the Cup badge was changed - because after measuring the painting it turned out that this part was repainted.
I have the "Cup" part under front bumper - but it's broken - so i have to repair it somehow.
I can see that this silver one - hasn't got a rear spoiler and very suspicious "scudetto" from version before lifting.
Tomorrow I'll try to make some interior photos :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Good article shedding some light on this in the current UK AROC magazine. Don't have it with me at the moment, but it did mention some red ones in Europe and no obvious pattern to tell which ones were red.

Buck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll be very thankful for putting it on the web ;)

I think that the most curious thing is the number - 038. How can it be, that two cars from "serie limitate" have the same number? And why Alfa did so?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'll be very thankful for putting it on the web ;)

I think that the most curious thing is the number - 038. How can it be, that two cars from "serie limitate" have the same number? And why Alfa did so?
The number 38 on the list is the UK version. Red text on the Serie limitata badge.

If you're car is the European Number 38 (it has you state the black text on the Serie Limitata badge) that explains why there are two number 38 's.

Although it is does not explain why the car is painted in Red and not Silver in colour.

Alan

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I did a bit of research into the cup a few years ago when I bought Cup 120, Copy and pasted.

Firstly why Cup, Alfa wanted a GTV race series and the only way to achieve this was to build a minimum number of 200 specials to homologate the model and allow an official race series, Hence the name CUP.

The Cup came in two variants the Rhd Alfa Rosso 3.0 V6 of which 155 were imported in to the UK and the rarer Silver Lhd 2.0 Turbo of which I believe some 70 where built.

I think this is correct and as far as I know the European Cups had 2.0 turbo now I don't think they bolted a turbo onto the twinny so that must make it a 2.0V6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, You think that my car... Shouldn't exist. Hm, that's interesting but unfortunately - it has to be somehow false. Moreover - I've also seen other 2.0 TS in Rosso Alfa available for sale in Poland - as far as i can remember it's number was 157.
I see that the only way to solve it - is to put photos of my plate on dashboard and plate under hood ;)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Mario, do you have a version of what we in the UK call a V5 Registration document?

My V5 when I had Cup 120 clearly stated the model as a GTV Cup maybe you have a similar system in Poland?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Are You sure, that "european" cups were numbereded from "0"? I thought that there were 500 (?) cups - numbered from 0 to 500.
Here some interesting evidence:
Please search on here for the GTV Cup list 2 and you will see that there were in total 419 Cups made.
The UK got 155 all with the 3 litre V6 engine and all in Red.

The Europeans had a total of 264 cars.
Originally it was thought all in a Silver colour and with a 2 litre TS 16v engine.

However evidence suggests that within the European cars their were some made in a Red colour and had a V6 engine.

Further evidence including your own suggests that there were a few cars with the TS engine and also painted Red.
For example your own car Number 38 and also Number 88 that we know of.

Yes it would have been esier to start the number sequence at 1 and just have one ongoing numerical sequence but this is Alfa after all !!
They decided to have one set with Serie Limitata badge with red letters numbered 1-155 and another Serie limitata badge with black letters also starting at 1 and going up to 264.

So you can have a Cup with the same number although therearemajor differences.
Left or right hand drive, Serie Limitata badge colour text differences, bodycolour different etc.

For example known on the GTV UK list is number 20 and 42 and 116 and 123 and more and all these numbers are also on the European list that we know of.
Again we know of number 33 and 34 on the European list and these are left hand drive V6 cars painted red but we also have the same two numbers on the UK list again in a Red coloured 3.0 V6 engine.

It appears that for the European market Alfa decided to have a few variants perhaps for the different country markets they were selling them to.
Silver or Red in Colour and with either the 2 litre TS 16v or 3 litre V6 engines whereas the UK market got all their Cups in Red and all with the 3.0 V6 engine.

Your car belongs on the European list as number 38 and we now know its a Red coloured TS engine version.

Lets get it added.

Hopefully that clears up the mystery and I hope you get that front lip spoiler refitted. to add that last finishing touch to your fantastic car

Alan

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Cheers for that, like I said it was a few years ago that I started digging and I had no idea that there were 264 European Cups made :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Didn't think Cups came with a turbo of any flavour.... :confused:

I'd been keen to see a pic of one if they did. :)

This thread gives a breakdown. :)

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
As the OP's car is a TS how could it possibly be a Cup........:confused:
A Serie Limitata plaque on the dash doesn't mean it is a Cup, you can buy one here Partsworld-UK. Badges and get a number engraved .....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts