Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody help i have recently bought a 99 gtv very happy with it just a few issues i have found the cooling fan does not seem to be cutting in i have not lost any water but the temp rises above 90degrees slightly ,the radiator feels hot the expansion bottle gets hot so it feels like the water is flowing ok but not getting cooled at all. It also seems to take quite some time to warm up, could it be the thermostat causing the problem? also there sounds like a squeaking/scraping from the osf when going over speed humps any help gratefully recieved

H

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AO :D

I'm sure a friendly mod will move this to the Techy section for you :D

While you're waiting click the linky below and hit the search button in the top right hand corner we're a mine of information on here :D

GTV Tech lounge

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
The fan should kick in dead on 90, my temp has never ever gone beyond that, even on the hottest day sitting in stationary traffic. You should be able to hear the fan, it's not quiet in the least.

It could be a thermostat, and I'm sure there are a few threads on here detailing how to change it.

Regarding the squeaking... what engine do you have, as it makes a difference as to what suspension set up you have.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fan should kick in dead on 90, my temp has never ever gone beyond that, even on the hottest day sitting in stationary traffic. You should be able to hear the fan, it's not quiet in the least.

It could be a thermostat, and I'm sure there are a few threads on here detailing how to change it.

Regarding the squeaking... what engine do you have, as it makes a difference as to what suspension set up you have.
2.0 tspark

S

·
0 Posts
At the age of the car, probably going to be both a shot radiator and thermostat. The two seem to die together. The stat will be causing the car not to warm up quickly and a poorly rad will cause it to get over heated in traffic. The rad fan should kick in at about 90 on the scale. Easy check if the fan works, unplug the temp sensor wire from the top of the thermostat housing. The fan should switch on to full speed immediately.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am certainly no expert on anything car related, but I have had similar-ish problems very recently....

1. Fan: First thing first - check the connectors.... are they in good nick? Just had to change one of mine which sorted my overheating issue - the fan wasn't kicking in as it had a poor connection

2. Speed bumps: aghhh! Have you checked the 'plastic base thingy' - commonly known to most here as the 'undertray'. Might be coming loose. ref. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/132133-the-bottom-of-my-car-is-falling-off.html

J

A

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem recently.
Check the relays and fuses are all ok and working first.
I also put a power supply directly to the fan to see if it actually worked.
There are also some resistor parts on the V6 that are something to do with the fan speed I believe. Not sure if they are on the 2.0L though.

Mine was a combination of relays and resistors in the end. Now the fan comes on at 93 degrees

H

·
0 Posts
A Corroded Rad would most certaintly result in the fan running continually this then leads to the fan resistors burning out.

Had the rad problem on the Cup :(

New rad new resistors and Robert's yer uncle :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just had exactly the same problem with my 98 2.0L....through not keeping an eye on the temp gauge, didn't realise the temperature got up to 120 or so till I found out that the fans weren't coming on at all. Found the connectors on the 2 resistors (found centrally between 2 fans, top and bottom)totally burnt out. Replaced both resistors, (2nd hand off fleabay, but almost brand new)cut back the wiring, made up new spade connectors and bingo, both fans coming in. And all for 15 squid! Temp now holding at just under 90 in heavy traffic. Great joy!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts