Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My GTV has this style alarm siren box as pictured which according to Abacus
Alfa GTV Alarm this is not a META or fixable meta alarm they do.

It is a 1999 CF2 phase 2.

I am trying to find a parasitic leak on my car 0.159amp. All fuses and relays checked, main fuse board removed after radio removed, electric Ariel disconnected as just not showing up. Must have discounted most things including wing mirrors, puddle lights and windows. Also the usual suspects of radio, electric Ariel, Every fuse board fuse removed and still the leak.

This only left a couple of potential things one being the alarm. Other fault in regulator on alternator. Garage were wary about unplugging alarm in case somehow immobilised car so left alone. In addition although we think is switched off I did not have a key for the siren box. Have never had alarm go off.

Well the siren control box new originals old just appeared on Partworld for £39 including new keys. At this price well worth a punt getting a new one so bought one just in case! https://www.partsworld-uk.com/collections/alfa-romeo-gtv-spider-spare-parts/products/alarm-siren-gtv-spider

1) So question is as follows, is there a separate control box for these style alarms?

2) if someone else has this one does it just normally arm of central locking remote on red key? Or does your car have a separate alarm fob? Seems a bit strange to have both but it’s an Alfa?

3) Am I likely to run into any problems just unplugging old siren box and plugging in new. (Thought would ask first before attempting, would disconnect battery when swapping)

Anyhow with a bit of luck this could be my culprit on parasitic leak and it would be nice to know the car had an Alarm that worked with the number of mods I have on it. Although reality kept in locked garage when not using.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
There'll be a part of the alarm system located in the plastic housing of the interior light ( flat plastic area between the lamp units and the windscreen ).

If you look carefully you'll see two small holes. One has an LED and the other takes a paper clip for programming purposes. Depending on whether yours is radio or infra-red, you may also have a dome for the I/R sensor in the lamp housing.

I don't know a lot about the factory alarm, but there is a detailed write-up in the workshop manual volume 3 ( not volume 3 part 2 ).

It is likely that your car was originally an import with that alarm.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
As pkr says, with separate alarm fob, Meta or other, a parallel import from the continent where many cars, not just Alfa, are not fitted with factory alarms. It may well have had the alarm on first coming into the UK, if new, or sometime after.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help.

Have found the manual pages you mention and I am reading through as detailed. Looks like I could just switch the box and leave turned off with key. Then could get new fobs and program.

Cheers
P

Attachments

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Go further into the manual ( section 16 of diagnostics section ) and there's a shed load more info.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go further into the manual ( section 16 of diagnostics section ) and there's a shed load more info.
I have been reading this evening. Will spend a bit longer having another read tomorrow. Strange even on a 20yr old GTV to have remote key like the red one shown and have a separate fob for alarm. i suppose quirky which you accept with an Italian car.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Sometimes it is a matter of either/or. Mine which has a Meta alarm has the separate fob but the key isn't the same as in your image. It doesn't have the little rubber button. In some countries alarm is not fitted as standard so if it is it would need another way of setting it.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes it is a matter of either/or. Mine which has a Meta alarm has the separate fob but the key isn't the same as in your image. It doesn't have the little rubber button. In some countries alarm is not fitted as standard so if it is it would need another way of setting it.
I think mine is a parallel import (BFG) British Forces Germany. I seem to remember something Ned at Autolusso said about a year ago.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Mine was new, UK specification, via Germany. I was able to specify 17" teledials which were not available for TS over here at that time. The Meta alarm was fitted by the organisation that brought it into the country. It also came with all of the keys including the "brown" key, two normal and one "valet" key.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'd still guess that it's the stereo that's draining your battery. Remove the facia and see if this cures it then you don't have to change the alarm.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Sometimes the radio can remain live even when the fascia is removed, my radio, a non-original, has an LED behind the fascia that lights up to remind that it is still live. Try removing the fuse to the radio and see if the current drain is still there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts