Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea how commited Alfa are to keep the GT in production and develop it, via different 'specials' e.g blackline, cloverleaf or could stop before a new direct replacement comes around ... which could be some time if at all..

The frustrating thing is to my mind that this car occupies a great niche in the market, and maybe with a bit more commitment Alfa could really have pushed this forward. I wonder if they are scared of damaging sales of the Brerra ..

e.g IMO if they had based the dash on the 159 and managed to squeeze the 2.4 diesel they would have some car... :wow:

Any views ?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Its ONLY an opinion.
I love the thought of having a GT as my next car, as I still like coupes & the kids are rapidly out-growing the rear seats of my Brera.
But, from my limited understanding of the GT, it relies on the parts bin of the 156 & 147 generation cars. The 156 is now no-more & in a year or so the 147 will also be replaced. In the push to increase their reputation for better build quality, I'd guess Alfa/Fiat would want to consign the GT to history & have a modern line up of cars, nothing earlier than the 159.
It would be a shame, as it would be yet another individual car no longer in current production.
I also agree that a 2.4 diesel option would be very interesting.
I love the interior/dash of my Brera, but could probably live very happily with looking at a 147 type dash in a GT.
Matt.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
as far as i am aware, the GT is not long for this world

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I think the GT is a great car; but it's getting long in the tooth I'm afraid (although the Cloverleaf does still look :cool: :cool: :cool: )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks
Had managed to dismiss the GT, made myself fall in love with the 159,
then I took my wife into the showroom to show off the alfa 159 ti
She preferred the Alfa GT !!!!

Good wife choice !

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
The GT, whether in Cloverleaf or Blackline guise :rolleyes:, is still a thing of beauty on our roads today. There's so little out there to rival the package in terms of affordability+economy+fun+practicality+drop-dead-looks!

Unfortunately, I think its very much on the way out :cry:
I'd like to think that it's established itself in the marque enough to warrant a "rebirth" in years to come! :cool:

I agree about the engine and the chassis alignment :thumbs:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
Thanks folks
Had managed to dismiss the GT, made myself fall in love with the 159,
then I took my wife into the showroom to show off the alfa 159 ti
She preferred the Alfa GT !!!!

Good wife choice !
even the women know whats good these days ;)

only joking ladies, i love you really :lol:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There´s been talk about the GT getting out of production since 2005 (when the car was 1 year old!). Surely it is build on the 147, but it is a model of its own and has only been around for 4 years. I´d think we will have it on the roads for a few more.

My next car will be a Brera JTD though!

N

·
0 Posts
They'll probably pull it as they phase out the engines.

And when the 147 goes they won't get the economy of
scale for the shared parts either so that may frce a
decision.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I tested a GT again recently as I'd thought of downsizing to save money. After the drive I knew getting a GT would have been a backward step and that I would have regretted it if I had done so. The build quality just wasn't what I'm used to now and the ride left a bit to be desired.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the GT and would have had one a few years ago instead of the 156 if it had been a practical option at the time, but not now unless it was a car for my wife, and she doesn't particularly like it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The GT is a stunning looking car.I remember first seeing a red V6 in the Top Gear mag and loved it.Sad thing is, i think it was always going to be a gap filler till the all new models (Brera & 159) came along.Too many ltd models coming out now to use all the old stock parts, but no real face lift/phase 2 models as such. Shame cos it's such a good looking car.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The idea that GT must follow 147 is a wise one. A reason that Alfa´s coupes always have been "affordable" is that they have shared alot more than coupes usually do, with their "mother model".

·
Registered
833 Posts
If there is going to be a 2 door 149 this could be the GT's replacement, I cannot see it going on after the 149 becomes available. That said, I still think its a fantastic looker and wonderful value - in my opinion far more entertaining to drive than the Brera / Spider.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
If there is going to be a 2 door 149 this could be the GT's replacement, I cannot see it going on after the 149 becomes available. That said, I still think its a fantastic looker and wonderful value - in my opinion far more entertaining to drive than the Brera / Spider.

Could be the reason i'm really strugling to move away from mine....even the 159ti felt less fun to drive

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
They could do a face lift GT. Use interiors etc from the new 149 and update the exterior.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I wonder if anyone but Bertone will be alowed to facelift a Bertone? And they stated quite powerfully that the car is close to "perfect" with the last discreeet facelift ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts