Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day guys.

I had a audio shop replace the stock Blaupunkt radio with a Sony MEX 4050 BT last week. I haven't had any issues yet, apart from the steering wheel volume/skip/src/mute not functional any more. But that is because they did not have a unit to translate the commands so that the radio accepts them so I presume they haven't connected it. And the head unit doesn't function (Get power) without the ignition being on. Anyway, this morning I was driving off to work and something very strange happened.

The ABS and ASR light flashes on the speedometer goes to 0 and the rev counter goes to 0 and then comes back on the fuel level indicator also drops and goes up again along with its light coming on too and going off. And it does that the whole time. The car is running fine, not having any performance loss or any rev dropping... I am worried. Is this a CANBUS error ? And will doing a Proxi alignment rectify this?

Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
sounds like a problem with the CAN bus, as the entire dashboard is CAN-bus controlled......
could just be a bad connection (messing around with the CAN bus connection on the radio ? )
if you don't have the blinking odometer, doubt a proxi alignment would solve this... As said, sounds more like a connector problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a problem with the CAN bus, as the entire dashboard is CAN-bus controlled......
could just be a bad connection (messing around with the CAN bus connection on the radio ? )
if you don't have the blinking odometer, doubt a proxi alignment would solve this... As said, sounds more like a connector problem
I had a blinking odometer yesterday morning. But after I switched off the ignition and restarted the car the blinking stopped. Could this be related ?

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
I had a blinking odometer yesterday morning. But after I switched off the ignition and restarted the car the blinking stopped. Could this be related ?
It could be. Blinking odometer is the way the bodycomputer indicates a problem with the CAN bus....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be. Blinking odometer is the way the bodycomputer indicates a problem with the CAN bus....
I have disconnected the battery from the system and reinstalled the original radio. Didn't get any errors or erratic behavior. Reinstalled the aftermarket one and its still fine. Only time will tell what happens next. Thanks guys. Hopefully it was a loose connection somewhere that I rectified now.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I had the exact same issue a while ago. It was a loose connection on one of the coil packs. Cleaned everything up with contact cleaner. No recurring since. Touch wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts