Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some wisdom chaps and chapesses.
After driving for 20-30 minutes I start getting a high pitched screech coming from the wheel (I think it's the driver side) when I turn left. It comes and goes as I drive but after a while is there constantly.
If I turn left it gets worse. If I drive in a straight line it starts but stops if I turn right (even a little).

Discs and pads are pretty new with little wear. Unknown when the bearings were done but it hasn't given any indication of a dodgy bearing (grumbling or owt).
Steering fluid is full.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How long since the rear discs and pads were done?
Mine did exactly the same, sounded like it was coming from the front when turning right. I first applied the brake pedal while turning and it disappeared so I knew it was brake related. Next time I gently applied a little handbrake when turning and it disappeared, so I knew it was the rears. On inspection I noticed a lip on the discs so a set of new rear discs and pads later and the problem was cured..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all above. I will have a look.
Rear discs and pads were done at the same time as the front.
I did check for anything stuck but couldn't see anything, if something was stuck I would expect it all the time and not just after 20-30 minutes (almost like something heating up).

I will check the duct guard PaulR as I didn't think to look at this (had a similar issue on my Astra G due to a bent dust guard).

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Mine does the same on turning sharp right when parking although its changed to a bit of a grinding noise at the moment, doesnt hapen all the time though....

G

·
0 Posts
Did you check the fluid in the P.A.S. is good does it need changing?
Do let us know what it was when you find it

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had similar annoying noise on my GT. Noticed it more when parking and having full lock on. Brakes checked several times no obvious fault, backing plates bent back out the way. Then had front calipers stripped and cleaned and that was the end of that squeal. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Try touching the brakes when the noise is happening, it may be the pads. Mine has a very slight squeal on left lock at low speed and is only noticeable when the window is open and stops with very light brake pressure.

·
Registered
981 Posts
When was the last time that you greased the pistons on the rear brake calipers? Mine were squealing like hell before I took them apart wire brushed the lot and globbed some copperslip in them. Turned out, two of the pins had seized, one was rock solid. I painted them with red Hammerite while I was down there. It's not a bad DIY job, took a couple of hours with a 10mm, 13mm, 17mm and 3/8ths spanners I think. You will need a socket set or proper spanners though because grips will chew the nuts. It's no more difficult than changing brake pads though. I advise that you file 0.5mm from the top and bottom edges of the tabs on the pads because they are a ***** to get back in otherwise. Oh, and you'll need a £25 caliper wind back tool from your local Halfords.

Nick

G

·
0 Posts
It is worth checking all the above .
Only suggested the fluid due to it happening after the car had warmed up fluids at temp.
Same could apply to the brakes though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PAS fluid is fine (level wise) and was changed last year at it's service (or so the book/receipts tell me).
Dust guard plate on front brakes are well out of the way.

I am starting to suspect that this is a wheel bearing that has failed prematurely.

Noise is definitely coming from the front as my mate was listening for it as I drove back and forth past him at low speed.
Noise doesn't change or go away when braking so I am veering away from siezed calipers (although I do like the red hammerite idea as it's an Alfa Red GT I have :D)

I can pick up a front bearing for £30 from a local factor so will give that a try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi have you checked the bottom wishbone ball joints as mine were split and lost all the grease and used to sound like i had a pig by the balls worth having a look

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Hi have you checked the bottom wishbone ball joints as mine were split and lost all the grease and used to sound like i had a pig by the balls worth having a look
And how would you know what that sounds like :tut:

·
Registered
20 Posts
And how would you know what that sounds like :tut:
Just guessing they would sound like that a loud screech/scream/squeal. The noise it was making made me laugh think its from watching the film deliverance the other night lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on this issue. I was wrong, rear drived side is where this issue lives.
Permanrnt squeal the other day so stopped and rear disc was burning hot, and I mean burning.
Stripped it all out and rebuilt it, copper slip on the pad ears etc.
Now I get a chirp (like a bird) every now and again. It is most annoying, disc hasnt heated up again since stripping.
But the chirp is definiely annoying me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts