Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am new to the forum so please go easy on me :)

I currently own a Saab 9-3 1.8T and love the car but new job means I am driving 100 miles a day so now needing a diesel. I have always been a big Coupe fan (Celica, Hyundai Coupe) and recently saw the Alfa GT on works car park !!

The car is gorgeous and great to find out it has a diesel in the range :wow:

So if possible can I call on you Alfa owners as you are experts in this field to give me some advice / experiences of owning the GT and possibly what to look out for when buying.

Now here is the snag, I only have £5k and have seen three within 100 miles of me. Mileage is getting on for 100k but that does not scare me as it is a diesel. As with any car though i want to make sure I am not buying into a load of trouble.

If the feedback is not good on the GT then I will be looking at the Saab 9-3 diesel or even dare I say it the great looking but boring Astra. I like to buy cars that have soul and are different than the mainstream Germans so always liked Alfa and Saab.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and once I have hopefully joined the owners ranks then I will introduce myself properly :D

Many thanks in advance :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I went from a 2.0t Vector Sport Saab 9-3 to an Alfa 159 1.9jtdm. Really pleased I did. The 159 was head and shoulders above the quality, drive and looks of the Saab. And this is coming from someone who had 7 previous Saabs, so was a true convert to the Saab way!

After 19 months of the 159 I moved to the GT Q2 (1.9jtdm). What a car!

Very different to the 159. Much harder and more direct. It is an older design, but then the 9-3 is no spring chicken is it?! I am a big fan of my new car, would happily recommend one to anyone who enjoys a different drive and a fantastic looker.

If I hadn't of gone for the GT, the 9-3 Ttid Aero was on the list as well.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Now here is the snag, I only have £5k and have seen three within 100 miles of me. Mileage is getting on for 100k but that does not scare me as it is a diesel. As with any car though i want to make sure I am not buying into a load of trouble.
As with all cars make sure the GT JTD 16v has full service history at the correct intervals, including the all important cambelt/tensioner/idler/waterpump. I say waterpump as these have a tendency to fail (the bearings fail not the impellars) so make sure the pump has been changed and if not price in a change when you negotiate. Other than that check to see if any suspension work has been carried out and if the EGR valve has ever been changed - all known weaknesses that are relatively straighforward to sort out.

Other than that the GT is a great Alfa with bags of character. Good luck in the search.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Yup. It just has a few Saab/GM badges on it! Different software, called Trionic 7. A pain to remap.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Have just moved in the opposite direction. After something like a dozen alfas I've gone from Brera to Saab. As someone said the diesels are basically the same engine (so same weaknesses) so I really think it's what's best for the money that you have to spend. My experience of alfas has been generally a very positive one, whether old or new, so far (3 months in) is the saab. Good luck

D

·
0 Posts
IF (and it's a big IF) in a couple of years I don't get a new Alfa (the mrs is the stumbling block) I'll be heading to SAAB in TiD form. Probably an estate to boot as kids may have arrived by then too! So that'll be, kids, my road bike and a dog to fit in the boot (not all at once though).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thats an easy one, it has to be the Alfa, i have been unfortunate to have been given a few Saabs as courtesy
cars and found them dull and worse they feel like my father in laws Vauxhall vectra..
The Astra is a Vauxhall so that is out, just leaves the Alfa Gt, pure style and best of all its italian.
Alfa's are drivers car and are usually bought without any intension of keeping up with the Jones, unlike the
german alternatives yawnnnnnnnnnnnn...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Alfa's just like the vw Golf are image neutral and that ticks all the right boxes for me, why people think a Merc or Bmw will impress the neighbours is beyond me, they are so dull and after owning Alfa's are definately not an alternative, maybe a Giulia GTA or Ferrari 250 GT Lusso or Lancia Fulvia HF.
Saab too sensible, Bmw image problem, Golf very safe if a bit dull.
If you even question what brand should i buy then you are on the wrong forum..

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
If you bought any of those three you'd end up with the same engine - you're only debating the clothes it comes in!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The GT is a very different car to a Saab 9-3 even though they share the same
Engines. suggest you try before you buy.

I did look at a 9-3 when i was changing but decided on the GT and with hindsight
It was definately the right choice for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Without a doubt it would have to be an Alfa.

I just don't get Saabs, they are all hideous and as dull as dish water.

That's just my opinion though ;)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I came from the Saab 9-3 Vector Sport Sportwagon to the GT JTDm (and yes same engine). The Saab came with a Hirsch Performance remap which gave it a noticable 'kick' over the standard engines bhp/torque figures. Initially I wanted something completely different and toyed with the Mazda MX-5 but, after much agonising I couldn't really justify the higher road tax, 25% less fuel consumption and even in 2.0 160bhp Sport mode, it just didn't feel fast compared to the heavier Saab.

I hadn't even considered the Alfa GT until a local dealer had one in. Ticked all the boxes for fuel economy and speed, more practical regards the boot space and the looks...well...what could I add that hasn't already been said?

Take one for a drive and you'll be hooked! :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your replies and Alfafanatic100, I appreciate your comments etc and with a username like yours would expect you to be passionate about the brand :thumbs: This is why i wanted to post on here, to get the opion of Alfas from you experts as you live with them daily (The only way you know about a cars pro's and con's is to look on the forums).

The thing for me is practicality but more importantly looks and performance. I actually think the Saab looks great and the performance of my 1.8T anyway is quite good but the dash and sound system is pants (at best):vomit:

For me anyway, the Astra was always a practicality choice but always the last resort. Happily with all your advice that has been ruled out !!

The Saab for me is still better than any German bore machine but that stereo really is pure pants. However it is great to see some previous Saab owners on here who have made the same Journey to Alfas as I am looking to do, and great to see that all of you are happy with your choices :)

For me the Alfa GT is head and shoulders above the other two for looks by a mile, and from what you have all said then the practicality is there and hopefully the ICE side is good too. Will defo take one for a spin and as I am already in love with the looks :inlove: then it will take a miracle to put me off now!!

Thanks all for your opinions and advice :thumbs:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Peaktorque

Thanks for your post and advice!!

Just wondered what size rims you have on your motor (On pic). Loving the Five spokes as the GT's I have looked at have the multi spoke wheels and dont look anywhere near as good as yours :cool:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I drove a Saab 9-3 (Herscher tuning kit) and have to say I loved the oddities but the Alfa GT absolutely slams the 9-3 on handling and quality. The 9-3 used to "tramp" with that level of power, the steering wasn't great and the dashboard felt cheap. Shame really as I really did still like the 9-3 but it's no drivers car, the GT is imo.

100K Alfa GT JTD wouldn't worry me, just make sure it's had the services, cambelt change, waterpump and suspension bushes...you can't really lose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks V6Alfisti

Is the cambelt due every 36k or more? It is just a lot of ads state Cambelt changed but they don't always tell you when it was done.

Dont want to buy and cambelt due again within six months :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Peaktorque

Thanks for your post and advice!!

Just wondered what size rims you have on your motor (On pic). Loving the Five spokes as the GT's I have looked at have the multi spoke wheels and dont look anywhere near as good as yours :cool:
They are the 18" Q2 wheels.

If you get a Q2 then they will come as standard ;)

I came from a German car to this and it was a great drive (BMW 535i) but it was as common as muck and not that reliable. The Alfa GT stood out as being ultra rare in comparison and I actually prefer the way it drives to the BM (although I can't expect a four pot diesel to sound anywhere as nice as the V8!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts