Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my GT's rear bumper this afternoon to try and find the cause of my Blackline's parking sensor fault. I've not seen any photos of this on the forum and thought the following images might help someone considering removing their own bumper. Exceptionally easy to do. The whole removal and refitting only took about 2 hours.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removal is easy. There are three torx screws under the rear bumper, four looking at you when you open the boot, three under each of the rear light clusters - you will have to peel the carpet back to access these ones as well as removing the Bose sub woofer box if fitted.

Lastly, there is a torx screw in each of the rear arches. You have to remove the thee screws holding the wheel arch to the rear bumper and then peel the wheel arch out of the way to view the torx screw. If you look directly up, you'll see it. Tricky to access, but it can be done with minimal effort :)

Oh, and you'll need to unplug the three wiring plugs found on the lower corner of the rear bumper- driver side. Simples.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a garage advise me that one of the sensors next to the registration plate was faulty. However, after an ECU reset, all four sensors started to work perfectly up until last week. I removed the bumper to make sure no wires had become disconnected, rust, damage or similar. Everything looked fine and i cleaned the four sensors before replacing the bumper.

With the bumper back on, i put the ignition on and put the car into reverse. Putting your ear to each sensor, you should hear a faint clicking which means they are receiving power and sending a signal out. All four were making the ticming sound. I then put the base of my palm over each of the sensors and one of them started bleeping constantly, even when I took my hand away completely. I assume this is is the problematic sensor and I'll replace it when the new one arrives in a day or two.

I'll post the results :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
excellent guide! I wish I had this as a reference when I tried it on my 56 plate. Unfortunately 120,000 miles had taken their toll on the screws in the wheel-arch and on the bolts holding the bumper on as most of them were rusted solid.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers, folks. Alas, it's not a detailed step by step guide, but the pictures alone should help anyone else that has Reversing sensor issues with their GT.

I ordered a genuine Valeo replacement sensor, brand new from eBay for £23 including delivery. :)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Cheers. Job for today.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
No screws were not realy rusty, Dawgg. The hardest part was accessing the two bolts behind the wheel arch trim. I did not know exactly where they were. About 2-3" back from the wheel arch bumper point (where the curve of the bumper arch meets the body wheel arch).
I had my car on the ramps so I was not crawling on my back to undo the lower bolts however it might have been useful to have the rear wheels off.
Fortunately I have a 1/4" small ratchet with my Torx set and it had some small cross head screwdriver bits. I would not have removed the four wheel arch screws (four per side) with a normal screwdriver without taking the wheels off otherwise.
I also missed two bolts under the reat light cluster at first. They are mentioned in GT_Blacklines instructions but I misread as two bolts instead of three. I at first thought I needed to get right up from under the car to undo them. Not the case.
I also removed the plastic trim covering the boot latch at the lower hatch side to aid in removing the carpets (but you probably don't need to) to access the rear light cluster bumper bolts. I also have four boot tie-down loops and had to remove the bolts from the rear two of them to lift the carpet away from the rear light clusters enough. Hex headed bolts.

Anyway I'm now fully sensored up :lol: *It took me 2 hours to get to work this morning but every time I caught upto a BMW and the sensors rang out, it made me smile.

* A complete lie I got nowhere near the BMW's.

It is strange selecting reverse to a single bleep instead of bleeeeeeeeeepp.

D

·
0 Posts
No screws were not realy rusty, Dawgg. The hardest part was accessing the two bolts behind the wheel arch trim. I did not know exactly where they were. About 2-3" back from the wheel arch bumper point (where the curve of the bumper arch meets the body wheel arch).
I had my car on the ramps so I was not crawling on my back to undo the lower bolts however it might have been useful to have the rear wheels off.
Fortunately I have a 1/4" small ratchet with my Torx set and it had some small cross head screwdriver bits. I would not have removed the four wheel arch screws (four per side) with a normal screwdriver without taking the wheels off otherwise.
I also missed two bolts under the reat light cluster at first. They are mentioned in GT_Blacklines instructions but I misread as two bolts instead of three. I at first thought I needed to get right up from under the car to undo them. Not the case.
I also removed the plastic trim covering the boot latch at the lower hatch side to aid in removing the carpets (but you probably don't need to) to access the rear light cluster bumper bolts. I also have four boot tie-down loops and had to remove the bolts from the rear two of them to lift the carpet away from the rear light clusters enough. Hex headed bolts.

Anyway I'm now fully sensored up :lol: *It took me 2 hours to get to work this morning but every time I caught upto a BMW and the sensors rang out, it made me smile.

* A complete lie I got nowhere near the BMW's.

It is strange selecting reverse to a single bleep instead of bleeeeeeeeeepp.
Must admit that bleeeeeeep goes right through me, i have the Pioneer app radio which takes a reversing camera so i would probably use that instead of the sensors, just need to find a camera.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good job GT. I had same issue but cost me £150 labour for a good but not "Alfa experienced" local village garage to fix. He had to learn the hard way of finding all the fixings and because of me being fairly new to my GT, was not too much help to him. Only paid £15.00 though for my German replacement unit from Ebay. Could have been worse as an auto electrical company, in town, wanted the car all day with no firm timing, no lift back into town from trading estate and said new OE sender could cost £150/£300. Needless to say made a sharp exit.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Good job GT. I had same issue but cost me £150 labour for a good but not "Alfa experienced" local village garage to fix. He had to learn the hard way of finding all the fixings and because of me being fairly new to my GT, was not too much help to him. Only paid £15.00 though for my German replacement unit from Ebay. Could have been worse as an auto electrical company, in town, wanted the car all day with no firm timing, no lift back into town from trading estate and said new OE sender could cost £150/£300. Needless to say made a sharp exit.
:wow: Mind you it would not surprise me in the least that OEM sensors are expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent - finally found something useful about removing the back bumper! Good work. Gonna give mine a go on a weekend soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts