Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas!
I have to change my right side rear bearing. So, I went to the mechanic to ask him the price and his provider said that the price would be some awesome: 300 Swiss Francs(something like 254GBP).:unsure:(n)Wich he told me that doesn't seem right. He will call the provider to check the price and then call me back tomorrow.
I found at autodoc and another websites the rear bearing for like 30Swiss Francs.
Will it be 100% if I give the VIN number?
If there is someone who bought the bearings for their GTs can give.me a help?
Thanks and enjoy your rides! ✌

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,102 Posts
Yes, they are different for some reason dependant on the year, I don't what the difference is?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spo
Yes, they are different for some reason dependant on the year, I don't what the difference is?
I've spoke with the mechanic right now and he said that the price is correct because it comes complet with the ABS unit and is more expensive that the front ones. I don't want to say that he doesn't know what he is doing because he is the mechanic, but it doesn't seem correct.
I'm going to an Italian Alfa/Fiat mechanic on Monday. And since I'm near Italy I'll request a quote at some Alfa spare parts shop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did mine last year, wouldnt recommend the cheap 40€-ish bearings, because they wont last a year. I went for SNR bearings, they were 80€ a piece. Also did the front not so long after the rear and used SNR bearings again (bit cheaper the front ones). So far so good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those pics look roughly like what it should, i replaced the rear bearing on my 147 a few years back. in terms of ABS, all the bearing really needs is the magnetic ring for the sensor to read, no reason it should cost 300 francs, i think i bought mine for 50 euros?

Word of advice, make sure you have a biiiiig breaker bar or impact wrench (the nut should be at 300nm, and will probably be tighter), a puller, and in my case i needed to grind the inner side of the bearing off of the stub axle since it was completely stuck on. Doing the rear bearing on my GFs Stilo i wanted to put the puller on and was prepared for serious grinding, and the ******* just fell off the stub :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I went to this Italian mechanic where I bought my first car 6 years ago. We checked all the ways and the price is correct. He will make it for 250 Francs with the work included.
I showed him the part on the other websites and after making a simulation of the shipping costs/waiting time and taxes(yeah, welcome to Switzerland 😁) the price would not go so different.
As I can't do that kind of job myself I think it's the best way.
Thank you for all the advice.
Have a nice ride fellas! ✌

·
Registered
21 Posts
The mechanic is in for a surprise, as when I replaced the last two bearings on mine. The bearing will fit just fine, in my experience(two distinct brands for me) but the nut included was a head scratch for me, as both new bearings come with some huge nuts in the box(42 vs 32 original). But kept the old nut, some grease and good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts