Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
GT 2.0 JTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So after having driven a car a bit i have noticed that the power steering seems to be on all the time, as the steering is always very light, no feedback at all and it is quite nervous.

I have found some conflicting information, whether a pump replacement will solve it or is it an external pressure release valve system, could you guys confirm it please? I could not find a PRV replacement only pump

The rack seems to be tight with no deadzone, so there is that.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,336 Posts
Have you checked the condition of the power steering fluid?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Are you meaning you can turn the steering with smallest finger all the time when engines runs?

·
Registered
GT 2.0 JTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not yet, I will check it after work

Are you meaning you can turn the steering with smallest finger all the time when engines runs?
It does not feel that light, but it is very light and it is uniformly light from leaving a parking lot to driving on B roads and motorway, but I will check both things after work

·
Registered
GT 2.0 JTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right so I have checked the fluid, and what I have noticed is that there was no hose/pipe on the breather pipe and the cap was very difficult to unscrew. The fluid was red, it was oily and the level was just under max.

This morning (first time after checking level) the steering was heavier and a bit better, I could not move the wheel that easily as before.

On Alfaworkshop they have a tank for a 2.0 JTS (like my car) PN 55189211 and on the picture it has a pipe on the oil cap. I have a feeling that it might be important for pressure relief in the system? The car had service before and I believe they changed/checked the power steering fluid,so they might have removed it by accident

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,336 Posts
The pipe is just in case it overflows, any piece of pipe the same will do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts