Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent so much on my GT recently that I've decided to stick with it and get it to a point where I'm really happy with it.

I love the look of the 17" multispokes that I have on currently, but the ride is just too harsh, its making me not enjoy the car. Especially on these terrible potholed roads in the suburban/countryside where I live. I've read many things on the forum, have searched high and low, that the extra sidewall gained by having 16" makes a big difference, and that Alfa set up the car on 16"s in the first place(?).

Can anyone tell me from experience if I will gain any extra comfort? If declared healthy at the next MOT, I'm going to treat it to a set of Bilstein B4s too, but for the time being, if I can get an improvement with just a cheap(er) set of wheels and tyres it would be great, anything to quieten the passenger complaints!

I am aware of the fact that, if I wanted a comfortable car, then the GT wasn't the right choice, I love how it drives, but it just struggles on these roads, eventually I will probably go back to a 147 or 156 but for now considering the money I've invested into it, it has to stay. 4 new injectors recently broke my bank account...!

If anyone has a set of the GT 16" multispokes for sale or would like to trade for my 17" I'm all ears, I don't want to try 156 Teledials as I know the offset is different and would like to keep the car as standard as possible.

Just as a note: I've had new front wishbones and and the suspension has been declared "relatively" healthy!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Which model GT are you talking about? 330mm front brake discs? Then your options are limited to 17" and 18"

The more base models (with 285mm discs) are close enough in offset 35mm on GT vs 40mm on 156 that the wheels are interchangeable. You won't notice 5mm.

Now if you where on 18" then YES go smaller, but 17" is supposed to be quite a bit better already... Going by pure math 1" over 16" is 6.25% more sidewall - Hypothetically it will improve things by 6% It should be noticeable, but don't expect day/night difference

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Going by pure math 1" over 16" is 6.25% more sidewall - Hypothetically it will improve things by 6% It should be noticeable, but don't expect day/night difference
It will depend what size 17" tyres he is running.
For the "normal" GT's the std 17" was 215/45R17, so smaller diameter than the 205/55R16 and poorer ride than the 225/45R17 of the 3.2V6.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry chaps I should have said, its a 2005 2.0 JTS, so I presume standard front discs.

I presume its got 215/45R17 on - not had worn tyres or a puncture yet so not had to check!

It will depend what size 17" tyres he is running.
For the "normal" GT's the std 17" was 215/45R17, so smaller diameter than the 205/55R16 and poorer ride than the 225/45R17 of the 3.2V6.
Have I got this right then, the overall diameter of a tyre on a 16" rim is bigger than the overall diameter of a 17" tyre and rim?

I admit I know the difference will be negligible.

Are there any recommendations for more comfortable tyres on a standard GT running 17"s?

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Have I got this right then, the overall diameter of a tyre on a 16" rim is bigger than the overall diameter of a 17" tyre and rim?

I admit I know the difference will be negligible.
For the std size for a 2.0JTS: Yes.
205/55R16 is 632mm dia
215/45R17 is 625mm dia
225/45R17 is 634mm dia (the std 3.2V6 size)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the std size for a 2.0JTS: Yes.
205/55R16 is 632mm dia
215/45R17 is 625mm dia
225/45R17 is 634mm dia (the std 3.2V6 size)
Cheers for this.

So does anyone think the swap to 16"s is worth it, or should I source better tyres for my current 17" rims and save the money for a shock and spring upgrade?

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
What tyres have you got at the moment?

·
Vendor
46,637 Posts
It shouldn't be that bad on 17" wheels.. I think it is likely something is worn out in your suspension. If you want a 2nd opinion I am only up the road from you in Cumbria, happy to give it a once over. You'd be amazed what an MOT test will miss, bottom arm ball joints in particular.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Som tyres have firmer side walls in my experience. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of tyres will be along shortly but I'm sure that the XL load rating may have something to do with needing/having firmer tyre walls. I presume to deal with heavier cars.... May be worth looking at your current tyres..

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree that tyres would be the first thing to look at. I'm running 18's with Michelin PS3's and the ride is much harsher than on the previous Goodyear Assymetric 2's. Maybe you need to look for more comfort based tyres.....

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Whereabouts in Lancashire are you? I can probably find a set of 156/147 16" wheels for you to try to see what you think before you go to the expense of replacement wheels - I'm near Burnley.

I actually find with the state of the roads I do my local running around more in the CRV as its 70 profile tyres make for a better ride.........

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
You need to jack the car up and get right under it.

Check every part of the heat shield. Check all exhaust brackets.

Mod the parcel shelf so it's stops rattling and the tail gate. You will probably find that sorts most of the harshness out and it's all sound.

Now start looking at changing the dampers. B4 or TRW if on a budget, maybe some Eibachs springs, but of course check for play in the upper and lower wishbones.

My GT rides like a dream, slight boot rattle but that's it's now. I am on 18's

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
XL tires does have much firmer sidewalls. Only use them if you LOAD up the car on regular basis
You use them if the car is spec'd with them in that size, nothing to do with how you load the car.
In the case of the 17" sizes it isn't spec'd with XL.
The 18" size however is XL

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What tyres have you got at the moment?
I've got the standard 215/45R17.

It shouldn't be that bad on 17" wheels.. I think it is likely something is worn out in your suspension. If you want a 2nd opinion I am only up the road from you in Cumbria, happy to give it a once over. You'd be amazed what an MOT test will miss, bottom arm ball joints in particular.
I had the suspension checked over as it was knocking like crazy, had new upper wishbones fitted, but it probably needs lower bushes and ball joints etc just to get back to something like a level playing field so I can address it properly. Thats a kind offer, I'm over near Barnoldswick so not a million miles away. I'd like an enthusiast's opinion as your average garage mechanic's eyes flicker with pound signs when you bring in a mid-2000s Alfa with chocolate wishbones...

Whereabouts in Lancashire are you? I can probably find a set of 156/147 16" wheels for you to try to see what you think before you go to the expense of replacement wheels - I'm near Burnley. I actually find with the state of the roads I do my local running around more in the CRV as its 70 profile tyres make for a better ride.........
I'm near Barnoldswick, thats a very kind offer - I'll probably take you up on that! The roads are just awful, most people have SUVs, I zig-zag everywhere I go, and make my passengers very ill!

You need to jack the car up and get right under it. Check every part of the heat shield. Check all exhaust brackets. Mod the parcel shelf so it's stops rattling and the tail gate. You will probably find that sorts most of the harshness out and it's all sound.

Now start looking at changing the dampers. B4 or TRW if on a budget, maybe some Eibachs springs, but of course check for play in the upper and lower wishbones.
Rattles don't bother me that much, this is the most modern car I've had after years of 80s cars and older classiscs, its the forces that I feel coming through the front end of the car that really bother me, which means that the shock absorption is probably the culprit like you said, it feels like the suspension is always at its limit. While they're in there I can look at other bushings too.

I might try some 16s as a quick fix, if I can borrow some that will be even better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, but what make etc..?
Sorry, unknown brand, something like Roadstar on the fronts (from memory, not currently near the car) and two Landsail tyres on the back . Tread pattern on the front looks like Toyo.

This is where I get everyone going "well there you go, buy some proper tyres then!"

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
well there you go, buy some proper tyres then!

Landsail are awful cheap budget tyres .. around here the minicabs use them as they last ages and cheap to replace ... Roadstar probably are too ..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well there you go, buy some proper tyres then!

Landsail are awful cheap budget tyres .. around here the minicabs use them as they last ages and cheap to replace ... Roadstar probably are too ..
Ha!!! Sorry for wasting everyone's time...

I knew they were cheap, but they aren't worn so didn't think it would factor much compared to the size of the side wall.

So first step, get some decent tyres on there and see if it improves. It might make a big enough difference to not warrant messing around with 16"s.

Any recommendations for particularly comfort orientated tyres?

·
Vendor
46,637 Posts
Ha!!! Sorry for wasting everyone's time...

I knew they were cheap, but they aren't worn so didn't think it would factor much compared to the size of the side wall.

So first step, get some decent tyres on there and see if it improves. It might make a big enough difference to not warrant messing around with 16"s.

Any recommendations for particularly comfort orientated tyres?
I would go for 225/45/17 instead of 215/45/17 and I would get something like Michelin Pilot Sport or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. Or even the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo are good too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts