Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I noticed something which I don't know is a feature of the GT or not. When the car is unlocked the numberplate lights come on dimly, when engine is turned off and car is locked they stay on for a minute (dimly) and then proceed to flash for a second every 5 seconds (again dimly). Funny thing is I have (what seems to be the somewhat common) problem of one of my numberplate lights not working sporadically and I am warned of this as soon as the car is started but when illuminated dimly in the manner I described above both are working fine. Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
No they should not be on, try unplugging & re-fitting the body computer. if that fails be prepared to buy a new body computer [ approx £500 ]

·
Banned
857 Posts
Dodgy earth connection. Check the plugs that connect the wiring for the lamps in the bumper to the body loom. The plugs are right behind the o/s rear wheel and a prime target for spray and muck kicked up by the tyre.

The dim light and flashing are a result of the small amount of current employed by the bulb check system (looks for an open circuit to indicate a bulb failure) not making it back to earth through the appropriate connection.

Trouble is left unchecked for too long it can overload the body computer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. Where is the body computer located and what does it look like?

I presume I'll have to take the rear bumper off to get to the wires?

·
Banned
857 Posts
Cheers guys. Where is the body computer located and what does it look like?

I presume I'll have to take the rear bumper off to get to the wires?
You can get to the multiplugs by sticking your hand up inside the bumper behind the driver's side rear wheel. Carefully unclip them from their support on the bumper plastic and then disconnect them. Take a look inside both ends of the plugs for any mud/corrosion and give them a good spray out with electrical contact cleaner. DO NOT USE WD40 or anything similar as it will simply rot the rubber seals on the plugs.

Hopefully after this you won't have to go near the body computer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get to the multiplugs by sticking your hand up inside the bumper behind the driver's side rear wheel. Carefully unclip them from their support on the bumper plastic and then disconnect them. Take a look inside both ends of the plugs for any mud/corrosion and give them a good spray out with electrical contact cleaner. DO NOT USE WD40 or anything similar as it will simply rot the rubber seals on the plugs.

Hopefully after this you won't have to go near the body computer.
Cheers I'll give it a go :thumbs:. What do you suggest I use as somebody said to me WD40 would be good lol

·
Banned
857 Posts
Cheers I'll give it a go :thumbs:. What do you suggest I use as somebody said to me WD40 would be good lol
That person should be taken out and shot. That's two people now who have told you what you should be using. Step away from the damn WD40! :tut:

If you need to waterproof the connections after you've cleaned them out and got them working give them a good smear of silicone grease. Maplins sell that as well - white toothpaste-like tube with red logo and black writing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That person should be taken out and shot. That's two people now who have told you what you should be using. Step away from the damn WD40! :tut:

If you need to waterproof the connections after you've cleaned them out and got them working give them a good smear of silicone grease. Maplins sell that as well - white toothpaste-like tube with red logo and black writing.
Cheers. That persons the one who got me into Alfas in the first place so I think I'll let him off lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry but I smiled when I read this thread. Only Alfa could make a car that flashes its number plate lights for 5 seconds :lol:

No it's not supposed to do it. Alfa electrics..... :(

Hope you find the fault and be sure to post the fix on here when you do :thumbs:

In answer to your WD40 question - use switch/contact cleaner

Contact Cleaner : Electronics Cleaners : Maplin Electronics
Lol, the funny thing is it looks too perfect with the timings and everything to be a fault. Very similar to that way an interior alarm light flashes. I'll keep you updated, cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had pretty much the same mate , are you getting the warning light on the dash read out too? just remove the connections under the rear bumper its not too bad to get too and definately not a bumper off job clean the connections up as they get covered in road dirt brush them off clean them up, i also removed the bulb holders from the number plate and they needed some attention as they were temperemental and the bulbs had become a little loose on cantact so i bent the ends in slightly and replaced the bulbs , hey presto and hour later no warning lights on and no more probs . Happy days.......

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had pretty much the same mate , are you getting the warning light on the dash read out too? just remove the connections under the rear bumper its not too bad to get too and definately not a bumper off job clean the connections up as they get covered in road dirt brush them off clean them up, i also removed the bulb holders from the number plate and they needed some attention as they were temperemental and the bulbs had become a little loose on cantact so i bent the ends in slightly and replaced the bulbs , hey presto and hour later no warning lights on and no more probs . Happy days.......

Cheers mate, I actually found your posts about that, haven't got around to doing it yet as it's been raining whenever I get back from work. Is it just clips on the sides I need to unclip? I put my hand under there but couldn't find the clips though I didnt spend to long examining it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts