Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a kind of an urgent issue with my 05 Alfa GT, 1.9.

I am unable to lock the doors properly with the remote or key.

It locks and then immediately unlocks. Alarm starts blinking, though. Sometimes, if I try locking another time immediately after it fails to lock, it locks and stays locked. I noticed that it is more likely to work the second time if I had turned on the ignition before that.

If I lock using the key in the driver's door, same thing happens.
If I lock with the key and keep the key turned, I feel the mechanism trying to unlock the door, but it stays locked. Issue is that the passenger door still unlocks.

I also tried sitting in the car and using the button to lock the doors. It worked a few times, but most of the times it fails to lock as well.

I tried the LED FLASH codes of the console lock button and when I unlock it with the remote, it blinks once, indicating an issue with the driver door/sensor.

Not sure if it is a coincidence, but it started happening after I took it to an automated car wash.

I read on here others mentioning a door lock sensor that may get wet/dirty, but I can't figure out where it's located so I can check it.
I also read someone mentioning cables behind the Head unit (ICS?) being heated up by a damaged heater matrix. (Which can maybe relate to issue 3 from below.)

I have noticed a few weird things happening in the past month.

1. The speaker in the passenger door simply stopped working suddenly, while music was playing. Was fixed when the door was opened and never malfunctioned again. (Can it be an issue with the cables there, which may be affecting the door as well?)
2. Windows are getting fogged up easy and I have to press the unfog button to clear them.
3. Head unit is getting very warm while I am traveling. Not sure if this was the case before, but I noticed it recently. And the reason I noticed it was because my CD changer pauses out of nowhere and I need to press the PLAY button in order for it to start. And then it pauses again in a few seconds. Before it pauses, the screen shows the radio bands for a brief second and then goes back to the CDC (CD changer) screen. (Can this indicate an issue with heat coming from the back of the unit and affecting the cables?)

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I can try doing any basic procedures myself. The more advanced stuff I will relay to my mechanic when I take the car in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any visual indications on the body module itself that I can check? Any way to diagnose it? Or does it just simply die? Is it expensive to replace?

Another thing I remembered. I've had a weird battery drain for the past year or so. I changed the battery with a new one a few months ago, but it persisted.

When I start the car initially, it's a little slow to start. If it has been sitting more than a week, it takes two turns of the key before it starts. If I drive even for a very short while (5 minutes) and stop, then immediately start the car again - it starts perfectly fine, no struggle. Also, when it struggles to start, I get weird issues with the electronics inside the car. The climate control button fails to start (turns on and then off again) is one. Issues are resolved if I turn off the car and start it back up again.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I found no indications that I could consider reliable pre-failure markers.

My first problem was the unlocking, as you describe. Then the indicators (hazard lights) came on spontaneously at the same time. The diagnostic scan showed it thought every door and the hatch was open. Then the left headlight would not switch off, and starting the car meant headlights immediately set to high beam.

I believe the failure is repairable, I don’t think it’s a processor fault, but so far nobody has identified the repair steps. My solution was to clone the body module into a matching part number unit. This was required to retain operation of the sunroof.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If it's the driver's door causing the C/L issue, could it not be the wiring loom that passes through the A pillar into the door? It's a common failure point on many different cars. Possible that it's also the cause of the parasitic drain if there's a short in there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw the sleeve going into the doors, but I don't know how to open and examine it so I didn't touch. It had a plastic ring. Any tips on how to open it so I can examine the harness? Maybe there is something visible that I can diagnose? Corrosion or loose connections.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
The number of indicator flashes when disarming alarm/central locking with radio key signifies which zone was triggered/faulty. Information is in owner's manual. Fault is probably a bad connection at door hinge multi plug.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dismantle body computer and check for oxidation or corrosion shorting tracks and pins on the circuit board. Had the issue on one of my 147s. Alternatively , door lock mechanism inside the door can be faulty. But first check the body comp. Disconnect the battery negative before dismantling it,. see below the images of what I am talking about, my most recent cleaning of the body computer circuit board..
symptoms were varied but each and every time included problems with central locking, radio, lights etc...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An update:

So the door started locking all of a sudden and was fine for a week. Then it started misbehaving again.

Today I decided to look at the gators that go in the doors. The driver one was fine. It was tight and I had a hard time disconnecting it.

The passenger one was a different story. It came out very easy and then I noticed that the part that sits inside the door is very loose. I could not even reconnect it properly. I guess someone that did paintwork on the door broke it and did not bother telling me.

You can see it hanging loose on this photo. I can't push it in order to get the other part connected and locked.

Automotive tire Wood Household hardware Gas Motor vehicle

Could this have been the issue?
Could this have been the issue for the battery drain as well?

What do I do now? I found a video on how to remove the door cover, but the broken part is not visible once the cover is off. I guess there is more disassembly to be done afterward. I am worried about the electric windows if I disassemble too far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts