Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post so here goes.

I'm in the process of restoring a 1975 1600 gt junior. I'm planning to keep a running picture diary for info. I hope this will help when it comes to advice I will definantly need along the way.

The car is fully stripped down and I'm just starting to look at whether to get it soda blasted. First question of many, it seems to already have a great deal of filler all over, is this usual or am I looking at a previous paint job?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If you are thinking the filler is 'factory' it's unlikely, the vast majority of these cars have had at least one restoration attempt, most have been patched and many botched over the years. It's very hard to see on the photos where in particular you are referring too filler, you don't want any in the main structural components, but for instances the valances front and back are likely to be full of it.

Soda blasting is probably a good idea, but you need to be mentally prepared for it. I'm not sure I am..... lace curtains come to mind :rolleyes:
:)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It wasn't unusual to use some filler in the production if body parts and assembly to seal weldings and if parts had got a ding or are uneven. Also the seams like between the door sills and front and rear wings were sealed (if Tony felt like it).
At some factories, like Jaguar, the very large parts were actually welded together of smaller parts. Jag used to use lead to cover these welds.
Erik

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welding

Right, car has been partially sand blasted and I've done quite a bit of welding. Here's a few more pics.

So far replaced the rear section, base of rear screen, front roll bar mounts, front cross member (under rad), base of near side wing and near side jacking point.

Still to do, base of drivers wing, offside rear wheel arch and tub, drivers side jacking point

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welding

Right last one, front view of the car as it was a week ago, since replaced lower crossmember and both anti roll bar mounts.

I have a question regarding the tub inside the rear arch. I bought one from classic Alfa but it seems to be too big. Does anyone know if it attaches inside the car or inside the wheel arch. Quite hard to explain if you've not seen it, hopefully someone has had this problem and can help me out. I'll put some more pics on over the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Nice one Craig - keep the pics coming - I love the Juniors (and all classic Alfa's) and it will be great to see another one back on the road

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You don't mention any thing about sills.
Haven't checked jet or are they alright?
They are time consuming jobs to renew so therefore often bogged.
Erik

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sills are ok, I'll put up some pics later. Looks like inners and outers have been replaced in the past, near side anyway!

Trying to fit the tub in the rear arch today. Difficult job. It seems to be too big and makes the arch stick ou too far. I'm going to have to trim it to fit. At least it's not too cold ; )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rear arch

Trying to get the near side rear arch sorted, quite a difficult job as the tub needs changing also. All good fun!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 60 Posts