Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I think it's safe to say that buying an Alfa is an argument that your heart wins over your head. But now I'm firmly in with my heart, I find myself faced with the same predicament - should I go JTDM or V6?

I've test driven a JTS and a JTDM and the latter easily won me over with the amount of torque on tap. But I'm wondering if my heart has brought me this far, should I go a little further and get a truly great engine?

Until I can get to test drive one myself, can anyone comment from personal experience? Is the V6 (if I can find a nice one) worth the running costs?

NC

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
There is more torque and bhp to unlick on the JTDm, I had mine remapped by Angel Tuning, it's absolutely fantastic, when I need the power it's there, the torque is incredible like an elastic band that just keeps on unwinding, I love it.

It's the cheaper option too in terms of running costs, insurance and fuel, the choice however, is yours.....................

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm sure the V6 is wonderful and from what I have read on the forum has it's very own amazing soundtrack! Insurance and petrol will be more and I imagine it will be more expensive to maintain (early changes of belts etc). I've never had a diesel car until I bought my GT and I must admit I love it to bits. It doesn't sound too bad for diesel either :) I bet the remap makes a great difference, something that I will be considering myself later this year. I couldn't afford the fuel costs on the V6! No matter which one you choose I think you will have made an excellent choice! :thumbs:

·
Registered
431 Posts
go with your heart, i;ve just bought one it is awesome, the sound when you fire it up allways puts a smile on my face, it is expensive to run but you will love it:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you have a large enough wallet then the V6 has to win every time. If you like your economy, then a diesel will be much better, but its never going to sound like a V6.

Either way the Gt's are lovely

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replys - much appreciated.

When all is said and done, it's about risk vs reward... and availability. Lots of JTDms but not that many V6s... and finding a V6 that has been loved might be tricky.

Does anyone know if there is a buyer's guide for the V6 - things to look out for / avoid?

NC

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Gotta be the V6. Driven sensibly it'll give you 32 to 34 mpg day to day. Then, on the weekend, put your foot down and have some fun. The new lower price our Government has reduced it to will offset any running costs. Choose carefully though and Q2 it asap.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You can retro-fit the Q2?! :wow:

This was one of the things drawing me to the Cloverleaf but this opens things up considerably. Do you happen to know how much it is fitted, and if it will fit any model? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
You can retro-fit the Q2?!

This was one of the things drawing me to the Cloverleaf but this opens things up considerably. Do you happen to know how much it is fitted, and if it will fit any model? Sorry if these are dumb questions.
Autolusso used to be able to fit the Q2 for £550 all in, which was a bargain imho. Unfortunately the price of the Q2 unit itself is going up so won't be as cheap now.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Has to be a V6.

The 4 cylinder Diesel is great (for a diesel) but the v6 is one of the worlds best ever engines.

If you haven't driven a Busso V6 powered car you don't know what you are missing.

If fuel is an issue, buy a second car and use that for work.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I would not consider it for more than a nanosecond. :lol:

It has been proven time and time again by every study done on the subject that Diesels are NOT, I repeat NOT, cheaper to run than petrols.

The fundamental starting price of diesels is more expensive
The maintenance costs of diesels are more expensive
The difference in the price per litre is so little that it would take years to save on fuel costs

Finally, and this is IMHO

They are noisy
They stink
They spew out filthy smoke
They suffer from dreadful turbo lag

Buy a V6, have fun and enjoy the ride. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I would not consider it for more than a nanosecond.

It has been proven time and time again by every study done on the subject that Diesels are NOT, I repeat NOT, cheaper to run than petrols.

The fundamental starting price of diesels is more expensive
The maintenance costs of diesels are more expensive
The difference in the price per litre is so little that it would take years to save on fuel costs

Finally, and this is IMHO

They are noisy
They stink
They spew out filthy smoke
They suffer from dreadful turbo lag

Buy a V6, have fun and enjoy the ride.
Oh dear, was that really necessary?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The Q2 is pretty much a must for the V6, just as it is in the torquey smoker. The V6 GT is a guaranteed future classic too:cool:

·
Registered
610 Posts
in the day of age of new labour anything thats fast and and over 160 thingy bobs they will cut your balls off soon. SO you might as well get one while you can :D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Please no petrol v diesel debate on this thread:eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts