Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please can anyone i.d what engine is fitted to my july 2007 alfa gt diesel, it has 937A500 on the chassis plate, with black plastic inlet manifold?

i would like to order a cam belt kit and i see there are the cf3 and cf4 kits available, not sure which one i need?

many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Hello there,

The code you have, 937A5000, is the 150bhp 1.9 JTDm diesel engine which was I think introduced in 2005. The engines fitted to the 147 and GT (156?) before 2005 were CF3 whereas yours, a post 2005 model I presume should be a CF4. As you rightly say there are different timing belt kits for both these engines. There is subtle difference between the timing belts of only 1 tooth, the CF3 uses a belt with 198 teeth and the CF4 timing belt has 199 teeth. It is therefore very important that the correct belt is fitted to your engine.

Have a look at this post, there's a ton of information which should answer your questions.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/405729-1-9-jtd-and-1-9-jtdm-engine-story.html

I hope this helps you :thumbs:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, from what i have read elsewhere on here, if its a cf4 engine its should have variable flaps fitted to the inlet manifold which is made from aluminum, my inlet manifold is black plastic and dosent appear to have any flap system fitted to it?

so do i have a 2006 car not registered untill mid 2007, or do i have a mid 2007 car fitted with a earlier engine?

confused.com

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Hi, I'm sure that even the plastic manifold cf4 engine has the swirl flaps, they are slightly different to the ally manifold but are there in an ally part of the manifold where it fits to the head.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
I had a similar problem when I wanted to know if my car had a DPF fitted. Contact your local dealership and give them your chassis/VIN/Registration number, they should be able to tell you which engine was fitted. This can be a problem when you have a car which could have been registered just before or just after a technical change was made to the car's design. Spider95 contributed a lot to the thread I sent you so he may know, post a reply in the thread. This way you're not lumbered with a part you can't use. Alternatively, call a dealership, even if they couldn't tell me if my car had a DPF, but I suppose they can't know everything.

See how you get on. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Apologies to sgwynner, I misspoke earlier when I said that the engine code 937A5000 was the CF4, I used the code given in my handbook. Despite belonging to a 147 from 2008, the handbook was a copy published in July of 2006 which may in fact have been referring to a CF3 at that time. Thanks to Spider95 for clearing that up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i took off the top part of the timing belt cover tonight, rotated the engine untill i could see the makers part numbers written on the back of the belt which read part number 5623xs made by 'gates'. looked on their website and found that the belt of that size fits the cf4 engine with 199 teeth. so its defo a cf4 engine.

they also list the cf3 belt as part number 5600xs with 198 teeth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts