Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hoping for a heads up on what I may have to expect if I am to take the GT to the garage during the week.

Today for the first time, I began to experience gear selection issues when driving. It was reluctant to engage properly on the move, either going up or down the gears. The clutch is still very light and smooth and does not slip, drag or bite at the wrong point. It is quiet with no tell tale rattles, crunches or any horrible noises. When parked with engine running or not it seems to engage all gears perfectly. Having read up what the problem may be I am thinking it may be a clutch slave cylinder packing up or fluid leak, gear selector fork or some internal clutch issue which I would not like at all.

Obviously it will need a proper inspection and diagnosis but if anybody has any ideas what the problem and remedy might be, please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just hoping for a heads up on what I may have to expect if I am to take the GT to the garage during the week.

Today for the first time, I began to experience gear selection issues when driving. It was reluctant to engage properly on the move, either going up or down the gears. The clutch is still very light and smooth and does not slip, drag or bite at the wrong point. It is quiet with no tell tale rattles, crunches or any horrible noises. When parked with engine running or not it seems to engage all gears perfectly. Having read up what the problem may be I am thinking it may be a clutch slave cylinder packing up or fluid leak, gear selector fork or some internal clutch issue which I would not like at all.

Obviously it will need a proper inspection and diagnosis but if anybody has any ideas what the problem and remedy might be, please let me know, thanks.
Any thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the GT booked in for tomorrow but would still like to have some idea what I may be in for. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Puzzling. The symptoms sound like clutch drag, which would point to clutch hydraulics failing, but OK when stationary and your description of pedal behaviour don't point to drag. You could try pumping the clutch (press the pedal, release, quickly press again then change gear). If that helps, it would suggest slave or master cylinder is leaking.

Wear in the linkage is another possibility but isn't likely to be different when parked.

Does double-declutching make any difference (pause in neutral between gears, lift clutch, depress clutch, move to desired gear, lift clutch)?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Take the battery out, the plastic tray under it too and and have a good squeeze/feel of the boot on the slave cylinder, if that's a bit wet you know the slave started leaking. You should be able to reach in through the holes in the battery bracket.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halftone and Imski thank you for your responses. Hopefully it is pointing towards the slave cylinder which shouldn't be too dramatic. It is going to the garage tomorrow so I shall let you know the diagnosis then.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Garage has phoned and have traced the fault to a leaky slave cylinder, which is a relief. Every other possibility has been eliminated, so hopefully the GT will be back on the road tonight after a two day break.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts