Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Alfa GT 2.0JTS. All of a sudden it stopped starting, turned over but no firing. After several attempts to start it nothing and battery getting flat. I have a plugin diagnostic and code is P0336, looking that up Crankshaft Sensor failure seems to be the problem. So I bought a new sensor and researched how to fit it, with very very little luck. I bought a workshop manual which is near to useless. Looking at various threads it appears the sensor is located just under the starter motor, some threads say get to it from underneath and some say easier to access it from above. So I cant even see the starter motor from above, and it is right at the bottom of the engine, the sensor should be right underneath that. So I needed to get it up on ramps but it wont start, so I cleared the DTC, and took the battery off to recharge it. When I put the battery back in the car started even though the engone warning light came on straight away with the same code, but I at least managed to get it up on the ramps. So the car is on the ramps but from underneath there is no access to the starter motor and I still cant see the sensor, in fact from underneath there is no access to that part of the engine bay as there is a subframe in the way. I am loath to get a garage to do it as the part is inexpensive and if I can find/access the sensor it is a simple job. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
I did mine from above by removing the throttle-body to get a little more room.

You still can't see what you are doing and it will be tight unless your arms are thin and you've got small hands, but I found that a lot easier than from below.

Mine was a 2.0TS, but essentially the same from that point of view.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyway just to update everyone. My arms arnet long enough or nimble enough to find the sensor let alone replace. So ended up getting it to my local garage who doe smy MOT and he fitted it for £36 apparently he has an apprentice with long spindly arms, job done!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts