Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my first post and it's a bit of a strange one soo will try be as clear as can be. Recently purchased a Alfa GT JTD Blackline after months and months of looking, had a couple of niggles but nothing too out there.

Anyway to the crux of the matter. I was recently driving and noticing when parked up a large pool of oil from the front drivers side near the wheel. I suspected oil cooler and surprise it was indeed that. Anyway upon taking it to a local guy who does repairs he said he could pout a bypass on it while i sourced a new one as well as getting back and forth to work. I checked the temperature and it's holding steady where it was on the dial before and generally seems to be running fine but wanted to get some opinions on the matter?

Cheers to any that give feedback. I have a few other niggles i'll probably end up posting bout as well but that's the main one just now

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Bypassing it will get you home, and will let the engine run relatively safely... Needs fixing asap though!

Get the Autolusso stainless kit fitted!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'd like to see the bypass, got any pics? ....good to have in the event of a drip starting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the late response back but life has been a bit hectic.

Anyway i've been driving the car back and forth to work while i look into getting the oil cooler fixed but the temperature has been holding fine where it was before and there hasn't been any noises which makes me wonder if it's actually needed? I know it;s there for a reason but if the temperature on the guage hasn't moved then surely it's not all that important?

As for the question bout pics of the bypass. I don't actually have any, it was a friend who done it when i put it through to get checked out when first was pouring out oil. Think just bridged it was a hose though not sure.

Cheers for any replies.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Yea it is important, so needs doing. Without the oil cooler, your engine will operate at s higher temp, specifically the oil stays hotter.. And heat is the killer for oil, and old exhausted oil is the killer for turbos.. Running without the oil cooler will significantly shorten the usable life of the oil, so it does need fixing really.

Thermostat on the dash is picking up the temperature of the coolant, not the oil.. So the engine is being fully cooled by the radiator now, and the oil stays warm. The Mocal kit that Autolusso sell is an ideal replacement.. Cheaper than original parts, and won't corrode like the original.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Sorry for the late response back but life has been a bit hectic.

Anyway i've been driving the car back and forth to work while i look into getting the oil cooler fixed but the temperature has been holding fine where it was before and there hasn't been any noises which makes me wonder if it's actually needed? I know it;s there for a reason but if the temperature on the guage hasn't moved then surely it's not all that important?

As for the question bout pics of the bypass. I don't actually have any, it was a friend who done it when i put it through to get checked out when first was pouring out oil. Think just bridged it was a hose though not sure.

Cheers for any replies.
your car,your choice, but don't come crying to us when it all goes horribly :censored:wrong...!

seriously though, it is required as the turbo among other things needs healthy oil, the cooler will insure this is the case for longer...I understand that it is unexpected (believe me I do) having had several ''unexpected's'' on my car, but some things you can leave for a while and other you just need to get done. this falls into the latter..

that said if money is tight after purchase then you could halve the oil change interval and if you are doing short journeys it should be ok. for a bit...

Its make do and mend though and part of the reason Alfa have such a poor reputation is because of heavy depreciation people start doing this stuff earlier in the cars life and it get's sold on to someone (like yourself) without it fixed and eventually something goes pop.

get the mocal kit from AL, if you are handy with the spanners it should be do-able in a couple of hours, plenty of guys on here will be happy to give you a hand if local to you, if you are surrey way I am more than happy to assist...:thumbup:

p.s might be worth getting an elm327 and checking your oil temp when driving....that way at least its not guess work. engine temp gauge really doesn't give you the hole story as its measuring coolant temp.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
It would be interesting to see the change in temp between with and without cooler and with different driving styles.

Does the GT even have an oil thermometer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
46,340 Posts
I had one come in to me with a bypassed oil cooler and rattling big end bearings & flickering oil light at idle. The turbo was also seriously whistly. The owner had had it for 2 years and didn't know how long the cooler had been bypassed for, it was done prior to him buying it although he did have the oil & filter changed when he first bought it. It also had over 180 thou on the clock and was rotten so we didn't end up fixing it..

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Can't get an oil temp reading using my scanner. Don't think there's a sensor. Happy to be proved wrong as this would be interesting data.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts