Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace the Connect Nav+ headunit of my Alfa GT. I have looked through the pinned thread but have some questions. I am tech savy but am not familiar with car audio at all.

My GT has the BOSE speakers system/amplifier and steering wheel controls.

As you all know, the stock head unit displays trip information which I find useful. Is there a way to install an aftermarket 2 DIN headunit that will also display this information from the board computer? (Travel time, range, avarage consumption, etc.)

Also, do you guys have any recommendations for a brand/model which will be good? I don't want much from it. I would appreciate if it would be able to pair with my Android phone, play various music formats off of a USB drive (preferably located in the glove box, so it doesn't stick), ability to play FLAC is a +. I doubt that I will ever watch video on it, but all the modern 2 DIN units offer it anyway.

I've been looking at the JVC KW AVX820.

What do I need to look for in a unit (spec-wise) so it works without a problem with the BOSE amplifier/system?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
There is no off-the-shelf interface to allow data to be displayed on the headunit's LCD. If you are particularly tech savvy and familiar with CANBUS, it is probably possible. An alfista here in Australia has tapped into CANBUS for engine data like tacho readings.

I personally like Alpine, so browse their website. Also Pioneer. Depends what features you want, and how much you want to pay. JVC are good value, and good quality.

Ideally, have a model with RCA preouts offering at least 4V (max/peak-peak) output, but 6V is better. It will drive the BOSE amp loud enough, similar to the factory headunit. Otherwise, you will want to use the speakerwire outputs, but sound quality isn't as good. At best, Alpine are 4V; unsure about other brands currently (Pioneer were previously 5V, but may not apply to current LCD models).

:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The JVC is:

Load Impedance 4 ohms (4 - 8 ohms allowable)
Pre-output Level/Impedance 5.0V/20kohms
Pre-output level/impedance 5.0V
Video Output Level/Impedance 1.0Vp-p/75 ohms
Audio Output Level/Impedance 5.0V

It must be OK, right? Is it a loudness issue with the BOSE amplifier and an aftermarket head-unit, or does the aftermarket unit affect quality as well?

Is there a sheet with the stock unit's specifications somewhere, so I can look for an aftermarket one that is close to those? I looked for information regarding both the amplifier and the head-unit but was unable to find anything.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
You could buy an Android head unit and then use an OBD2 app to read directly from the ECU/CANbus system, then you will get much more info than the std trip computer, plus be able to read/clear fault codes.

·
7,713 Posts
It must be OK, right? Is it a loudness issue with the BOSE amplifier and an aftermarket head-unit, or does the aftermarket unit affect quality as well?
"Must be"? It should be ok...in terms of loudness. Yes, it's an issue to do with loudness. The BOSE amplifier has a fixed sensitivity input, meaning it is matched to the factory headunit. If the signal strength is insufficient, it won't be so loud. AFAIK, the factory output is around 6~8V p-p. So, with a 4V headunit, it won't be as loud at full volume but it is not to say it won't be loud enough. I doubt most people turn the factory headunit up anywhere near full volume. Yet, some people have complained that 4V isn't loud enough.

Many factors influence the sound quality. The output voltage primarily affects the loudness. I wouldn't choose only based upon the output voltage. You have to look at many things, from the colour/cosmetics, to the build quality and feel of the buttons, the picture quality, user interface, tuning features (inbuilt EQ, xovers, time correction, etc), other features (BT, USB, CD/DVD, iPhone, etc) depending upon your priorities.

Is there a sheet with the stock unit's specifications somewhere, so I can look for an aftermarket one that is close to those? I looked for information regarding both the amplifier and the head-unit but was unable to find anything.
I've not seen full specs. Not that specs tell much in terms of sound quality, let alone build quality and ease of use.

If you plan to use the RCA preouts, then I wouldn't choose a model with output voltages of less than 4V. Most will therefore be fine.

If you happen to want a particular model that has less output (eg: 2V), then you'd be best to use the speakerwire outputs. The signal is thus amplified by the inbuilt amplifier ICs; but thus also subject to distortion, reduced bandwidth and dynamics and clarity, and frequency response, separation, etc, compared with the preouts. Is the difference big? Not massive, depending upon who you ask (ie: what you're used to in terms of fidelity).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could buy an Android head unit and then use an OBD2 app to read directly from the ECU/CANbus system, then you will get much more info than the std trip computer, plus be able to read/clear fault codes.
What Android unit would that be? I haven't come across any of those. Are you talking about the Pioneer AppRadio? I don't want it to be so smartphone centered. I don't carry music on my phone and my data plan has only 1000MBs free on it so streaming is not an option.

"Must be"? It should be ok...in terms of loudness. Yes, it's an issue to do with loudness. The BOSE amplifier has a fixed sensitivity input, meaning it is matched to the factory headunit. If the signal strength is insufficient, it won't be so loud. AFAIK, the factory output is around 6~8V p-p. So, with a 4V headunit, it won't be as loud at full volume but it is not to say it won't be loud enough. I doubt most people turn the factory headunit up anywhere near full volume. Yet, some people have complained that 4V isn't loud enough.

Many factors influence the sound quality. The output voltage primarily affects the loudness. I wouldn't choose only based upon the output voltage. You have to look at many things, from the colour/cosmetics, to the build quality and feel of the buttons, the picture quality, user interface, tuning features (inbuilt EQ, xovers, time correction, etc), other features (BT, USB, CD/DVD, iPhone, etc) depending upon your priorities.

I've not seen full specs. Not that specs tell much in terms of sound quality, let alone build quality and ease of use.

If you plan to use the RCA preouts, then I wouldn't choose a model with output voltages of less than 4V. Most will therefore be fine.

If you happen to want a particular model that has less output (eg: 2V), then you'd be best to use the speakerwire outputs. The signal is thus amplified by the inbuilt amplifier ICs; but thus also subject to distortion, reduced bandwidth and dynamics and clarity, and frequency response, separation, etc, compared with the preouts. Is the difference big? Not massive, depending upon who you ask (ie: what you're used to in terms of fidelity).

Sorry. Should be. Not a native speaker here. Thank you for the information.
I am now leaning towards the Sony XAV 601 BT. It has 5V pre-outs and all the features one could want.

I guess I'll have to forget about the data from the board computer being displayed on the headunit and will stick with the tiny display on the dash board.

Is there a way to gather the information from the board computer and display it on a separate (additional) screen somewhere?

·
7,713 Posts
Sorry. Should be. Not a native speaker here. Thank you for the information.
Hey, I'm sorry that I sounded rude. :eek: However, I was really joking and being pedantic. You didn't have to apologise.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Dunno, but its not gonna be much different to an Android phone, tablet or tv box, you have to goolge it and see whats available.

Theres a secondhand one on ebay at the mo, but its android 2.3 and only has 512mb of RAM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts