Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Picking up the GT tomorrow, they have just done the Cam belt for me along with service + MOT before I collect, however they said that they have only done the Cam Belt, as it was not recommended to do the water pump too.

They have been great so far, but I may still try and knock them down a bit for the pump...

Either way, its done little over 62k, last major service at 59k, and a F/Alfa/S/H. For peice of mind after everything that ive read into buying these cars (and most Alfas) i want to get the pump done ASAP (like within a few days).

From what ive read, the cam belt has to be done as well as the pump. Is this true if the belt has done less than 500miles? Or do i have no choice?

And i'd also like to say thanks - so far everyone has been very helpful with the GT purchase, may my 147 forever lay in peace.....

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Guys,

Picking up the GT tomorrow, they have just done the Cam belt for me along with service + MOT before I collect, however they said that they have only done the Cam Belt, as it was not recommended to do the water pump too.

They have been great so far, but I may still try and knock them down a bit for the pump...

Either way, its done little over 62k, last major service at 59k, and a F/Alfa/S/H. For peice of mind after everything that ive read into buying these cars (and most Alfas) i want to get the pump done ASAP (like within a few days).

From what ive read, the cam belt has to be done as well as the pump. Is this true if the belt has done less than 500miles? Or do i have no choice?

And i'd also like to say thanks - so far everyone has been very helpful with the GT purchase, may my 147 forever lay in peace.....
my understanding is that you have to take the cam belt off to change the waterpump. I would have absolutely insisted they do it ....and most decent alfa garages will not do a cambelt without it!

It will be about 3 hrs labour to get to the waterpump. What were they thinking? ...who is doing it?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
my understanding is that you have to take the cam belt off to change the waterpump. I would have absolutely insisted they do it ....and most decent alfa garages will not do a cambelt without it!

It will be about 3 hrs labour to get to the waterpump. What were they thinking? ...who is doing it?
Thats not true. Main dealers will just go along with the schedule. It's another reason to use a good indie but even they don't always know all the "extras" that should be done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand you need to take the Cambelt off, but can the same belt be put back on? Or will I have to shell out for a new belt too?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I understand you need to take the Cambelt off, but can the same belt be put back on? Or will I have to shell out for a new belt too?
Personal opinion only, after 500 miles i'd think you be safe but a think the real question is whether the garage's work will be warrantied if you don't change the belt, that would be more or a concern for me. It's annoying that they didn't do it at the time but realistically it's only about £30 or so which will be lost in the labour costs tbh.

That's my thoughts ;)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
My local dealer now strongly suggests that the waterpump be changed on these 16v/20v JTD engines when replacing the cambelt/tensioner. Although not on the official schedule for change, the problems of this waterpump are well known 'unofficially' in Alfa Romeo technician 'workshops'.

But in the time honoured tradition of the Fiat Group, there is no official recall on this waterpump, and there probably never will be. If it 'goes' outside the official warranty period (the first three years for UK cars), you're on your own.

I would strongly advise you to change it asap.

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Did they change the cam belt tensioner and idler too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to reinforce what everyone will say about the waterpump...

I recently had the cambelt change on my 06 1.9JTDm at 57K (and 5 yrs), and the indie i use insists on new waterpump, tensioner and idler. Just as well; the old belt looked as good as new but the waterpump was on its last legs, the bearings were totally shot. It could have seized up at any time in the next few hundred miles, he said. So I was pretty glad i decided to get it done early! (mileage wise, anyway)

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi guys, my first post here without an intro so sorry, - but I am looking at a GT 2.0JTs tomorrow and the indie dealer has just had the belts done but not the water pump...Why??? He tells me that the pump did not need replacing..? - 44,000 miles on this one. I think I also need a bit of reassurance but by the sound of it it will not be forthcoming?
Ian

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Yep this thread is concerned with the JTD 16v/20v DIESEL engines. TS/JTS PETROL engines waterpump totally different pump, and much more robust.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Just to reinforce what everyone will say about the waterpump...

I recently had the cambelt change on my 06 1.9JTDm at 57K (and 5 yrs), and the indie i use insists on new waterpump, tensioner and idler. Just as well; the old belt looked as good as new but the waterpump was on its last legs, the bearings were totally shot. It could have seized up at any time in the next few hundred miles, he said. So I was pretty glad i decided to get it done early! (mileage wise, anyway)
Balvenie I'll add you to the 'near misses' list in the JTD 16v/20v waterpump thread.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
thanks guys, I am suitable reassured. I hope to be joining your ranks proper very soon!
Make sure you change it at the second belt change though (which should be 72,000 miles or six years, whichever occurs first). They are strong units, but are not bullet proof, and have been known to fail..............eventually:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts