Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been eyeing up an Alfa for a while now, and despite the initial push from SWMBO to get a 159, I am plumping for a GT.

A guy at work has two (I know, lucky boy!) and they look amazing... my only issue is that it is likely to be a daily driver, at least in the short term during the summer months.

My main issue, comes in the form of practicality... Having driven boring family motors for the last 5 or 6 years, focussing on MPG, and normally ending up in DERV units, I'm struggling to shake the mentality.

Basically my question is, do I go for a "Final edition" JTDM and enjoy all the toys & decent MPG but have tractor sounds... or do I just say hell to it, and plump for the 3.2 V6 for the purer driving experience?

Looking at my figures, i'm doing around 24-30k miles a year, which I figure means around another £180-200 a month in fuel with the 3.2 - which isn't an issue financially, just as long as it is "worth" that extra?

The guy at work has basically said that the 170bhp diesel is very nice and just the sound lets it down, but his 3.2 is a different league...

So Alfa gurus of the interweb, what would you do?
:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi All,

I've been eyeing up an Alfa for a while now, and despite the initial push from SWMBO to get a 159, I am plumping for a GT.

A guy at work has two (I know, lucky boy!) and they look amazing... my only issue is that it is likely to be a daily driver, at least in the short term during the summer months.

My main issue, comes in the form of practicality... Having driven boring family motors for the last 5 or 6 years, focussing on MPG, and normally ending up in DERV units, I'm struggling to shake the mentality.

Basically my question is, do I go for a "Final edition" JTDM and enjoy all the toys & decent MPG but have tractor sounds... or do I just say hell to it, and plump for the 3.2 V6 for the purer driving experience?

Looking at my figures, i'm doing around 24-30k miles a year, which I figure means around another £180-200 a month in fuel with the 3.2 - which isn't an issue financially, just as long as it is "worth" that extra?

The guy at work has basically said that the 170bhp diesel is very nice and just the sound lets it down, but his 3.2 is a different league...

So Alfa gurus of the interweb, what would you do?
:)
Simple - go for a good 3.2 and enjoy!:thumbup:
Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use my 3.2 as a daily driver, it makes for a fantastic cruiser as well, stop and go is heavy on the clutch though but I just get up early enough and avoid traffic so at least I arrive and leave work with a smile on my face. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use my 3.2 as a daily driver, it makes for a fantastic cruiser as well, stop and go is heavy on the clutch though but I just get up early enough and avoid traffic so at least I arrive and leave work with a smile on my face. :)
Thanks for the replies guys.
Good to hear that they can be used as Daily drivers.

My commute is pretty much all A1 dual carriageway, so it's usually just a case of getting up to 6th and then cruising 35 miles (subject to the occasional lorry tyre blow, or traffic slowing incident) so I'm hopeful it will give me a nice run to enjoy the burble of a throaty petrol engine, rather than just ramping up the stereo! :thumbup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
go for it, cruise in 6th and if you need extra power just put your foot down...;)plenty power even in 6th

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
You only live once.

Reactions: AlfaJoe92

·
Registered
526 Posts
25-30k in a GT V6 :yes:

but after 2 years you will be left in financial ruin with a hard to sell 3.2 on your hands as it's done around 150k!

Your brave if you do and the 'you only live once' analogy does sound good, but if it was me, yes I would always go for the 3.2, but I would also buy an automatic 'snotter' to do the bulk of the commuting in with a banging stereo and then save the GT for weekends and the odd commute once or twice a week when you've been good lol.

Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is an option - we currently have a 1.9 150bhp Zafira which does all of the donkey work. Given the recent "issues" VX have had with these spontaneously combusting the prices for them have bottomed out, so it may be worth keeping hold of it, at least for now.

I'm budgeting for around £450-500 a month in fuel if I go for the 3.2, and whilst it is viable I realise it is steep... As i say, if it was all about the economy I'd buy the 1.9 170 GT and a decent stereo setup to drown out the DERV, but I keep finding myself wondering if it's just worth getting the 3.2 and maintaining it.

More thinking to be done, but I suspect I've already made a financially suspect decision! ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I know you are keen on mine and I would be daft to put you off but with that sort of mileage I would think about it long and hard. I only do 3-5k a year and find it expensive to run. In your circumstances I would go for a cloverleaf Q2 with sport button and get it remapped and any other mods that would help it go faster and sit back and enjoy the torque!

That aside we should all experience a busso in our lives, even if only for a short time. So in that case get the V6, enjoy every minute of it and if it turns out to be too expensive then you can sell it on, you might even make money on it if you haven't put loads of miles on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks DNG,

You do speak sense - running a 3.2 over those distances will be costly and will make the car difficult to resell with rocketship miles...

I should really be looking at a 1.9 170 with a remap and some tweaks to keep me happy, but the sound of the 3.2 does sway me - and even SWMBO has suggested I should "just bloody get one!"

Maybe I should do what the guy at work did - buy a 3.2 and run it for a bit, and then if it becomes too costly, buy a 1.9 AS WELL!

Daily driver - GT 1.9
Weekend driver - GT 3.2

I like that plan lol

·
Registered
600 Posts
Now that would be a great option. I would be more than happy with that. You could get a GT in 3.2 form and then to have something a little different a 147 Ducati Corse as your diesel option....or a Brera 2.4 :)

Well at least with mine you know all the expensive engine jobs are complete so the only little niggles would be the odd bodywork scrape etc which can be done in your own time. The suspension is an known weak area too. I've not had any of mine upgraded, not to my knowledge anyhow, a previous owner may have. When I have next cleaned it I will take some more detailed pictures of the bodywork

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Nothing wrong with a GT as a daily driver - I used mine daily last summer for a 32 mile each way motorway commute, was fine. Driven sensibly, I was getting about 330 miles on a tank. I deliberately did a "drive it like you stole it" week - that got 180 miles on a tank, but was a lot of fun.

I don't think GT 3.2s are any more expensive to run than a 2.5 V6 156. People are scared of them because 3.2 = GTA = big bills - but the big bills in the GTA seem to be driven by the unique bodywork rather than the mechanicals. Cam belt changes cost the same as a 2.5 (but slightly more frequent), tyres cost about the same, brakes are a bit more expensive, suspension is identical.

I got my 3.2 as a mechanical wreck 3 years ago, rebuilt the engine, and have literally done nothing to it apart from routine servicing in 3 years. My 2.5 156 is the commuting workhorse - I've done about 40K in that commuting in the last few years, other than suspension upgrades (optional...) it is just needed routine servicing.

That said, if you're doing long distance, there is a lot to be said for a diesel. Given a 600 mile journey, I'd take the wife's 159 2.4 every time. < 100 miles - GT or 156 every time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That said, if you're doing long distance, there is a lot to be said for a diesel. Given a 600 mile journey, I'd take the wife's 159 2.4 every time. < 100 miles - GT or 156 every time.
Well, the commute everyday is 35 miles each way. Have to do 160 mile runs every other weekend for the kids, but otherwise it's just 30-40 miles each way.

I think it's a potential 3.2 GT, with the Zafira DERV on backup for the long runs (for now) and then get the Zafira gone and swapped out for a 1.9 GT :p

So many plans - most of which will annoy SWMBO! :jester:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I only own a 2.0 jts but even that's harsh on fuel I suppose had I'd know I would've bought a diesel version. In hindsight a 159 diesel would be my preference car maybe next time

·
Registered
743 Posts
ive owned both in 1.9 derv form , now on my 2nd GT , I think either is a great choice but if funds allow , get the newest GT you can , the only issue I ever had with my old 159 was the fixed rear seats , the GT's fold down which I find incredibly useful

1 - 20 of 108 Posts