Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have got an 08 gt blackline Q2, and i have to be honest the car is fantastic, but the brakes on the car are just awful, just wondering if anyone else has done braking upgrades and what they got and how well they performed, and did you also change the hoses as well?

Any help will be great.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Brakes on my 147 are pretty good, before upgrading, check the condition of your pads and disks, and if necessary deglaze the pads with a bit of sandpaper. Also check condition of your hoses as they deteriorate and can bulge, effectively reducing your braking power. And finally replace your brake fluid with some new DOT 4, as over time this absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, this should be a clear golden or pale yellow, cloudy or dirty brake fluid won't perform as well as new.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Brakes on my GT are pretty good....

·
Registered
186 Posts
the standard brakes on mine are more the satisfactory, i wouldnt go for a big brake conversion as its more hassle then it seems (and quite expensive!!)

as before just check all the components are in good condition.

·
Banned
857 Posts
the standard brakes on mine are more the satisfactory, i wouldnt go for a big brake conversion as its more hassle then it seems (and quite expensive!!)
I'd agree that the standard brakes are pretty good as these things go. Significantly better than the Jag X-Type I had before (normal procedure for any 4WD X-Type owner if they haven't done so already is to ditch the standard 'Bosch - Made in Brazil' discs and pads at the earliest opportunity and replace them with anything you can find, but Mintex seems to be the parts of choice for the most cost effective upgrade).

Big brake conversions can actually make brake pedal feel worse if used with the standard master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
They're normally pretty good, however watch out for sticking rear calipers (they'll squeal if they are and you end up dabbing the brake pedal to stop it) worn discs and finally make sure your fluids pretty fresh.

You could always go for a GTA big brake conversion but this is going to be hefty in the finance stakes.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The brakes on my JTD work ok, but the feedback is pretty poor. I've had upgraded hoses, Ferodo pads etc. but difference made has only been marginal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers, guys, the car i had before was a 3.2 v6 audi, and the brakes were fantastic, but they were double piston calipers, and they were the same brakes as you would get on a bentley arnage. I will have a check of all the parts, thanks for the advice!! :)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
My GT brakes are pretty decent at usual speeds, but trying to come down from higher speeds can be a little heart fluttering. The car stops well enough, and reduces speed, but just don't feel as though they bite too well. Standard pads and disks all round, newish on both front and back.

If, well more like when, I get the engine remapped, I will seriously look at getting the fronts upgraded as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts