Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any offers people, so far I cannot trace where water is coming from other than the sky............
Looking in the boot, the inside of the storage box on the right hand side is wet only the half closer to the lights, feeling slightly wet on the roof of storage box. Nothing wet around the light fittings or behind the storage box & carpet around the area at back. But some drips just in front of wheel arch on floor carpet. All the water drainage runs around the rear hatch were a bit clogged with leaves and bits , but all cleared now and water still getting in last 3 days, small puddle enough to soak up 2 paper towels worth overnight appear. Lucky I have a plastic boot tidy fitted so water not running elsewhere. :grumpy:

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Have you checked the boot seal is ok and if you push down on the boot when closed is there any movement downwards?

I had to adjust the catch on mine as it was not closing tightly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the boot seal is ok and if you push down on the boot when closed is there any movement downwards?

I had to adjust the catch on mine as it was not closing tightly.
Worth a check I'll look in the morning,thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any offers people, so far I cannot trace where water is coming from other than the sky............
Looking in the boot, the inside of the storage box on the right hand side is wet only the half closer to the lights, feeling slightly wet on the roof of storage box. Nothing wet around the light fittings or behind the storage box & carpet around the area at back. But some drips just in front of wheel arch on floor carpet. All the water drainage runs around the rear hatch were a bit clogged with leaves and bits , but all cleared now and water still getting in last 3 days, small puddle enough to soak up 2 paper towels worth overnight appear. Lucky I have a plastic boot tidy fitted so water not running elsewhere. :grumpy:
I noticed a little leak coming in on a panel joint only visible when you open the hatching left and right sides

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had water pooling in the same place in my old GT. It was leaking from the joint under the rubber trim that runs along the side of both sides of the roof line. The leak on mine was from the rear of the driver's side just above the rear screen. Lift the rear of the rubber trim and you'll see the joint underneath. Might be a possibility on yours?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Daft as it sounds I've had a couple of instances where I must have pressed the boot release by mistake and been left over night... (My old GTV would spring right open but the GT you can barely notice its popped).. One night it rained quite heavily and thats where I'm hoping my leak has come from..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for thoughts guys, so far not found anything and been dry for number of days now. Working up to the hassle of running water with hose or watering can over the boot and climbing in boot to see if leak can be seen. But looks like it might freeze at the moment.:rofl:

·
Registered
50 Posts
mine was leaking from the rubber grommet for the wiring and also from the hinges. i put some sealant under hinges around the bolt holes and around the wiring rubber grommet on roof. problem fixed:party:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any new thoughts? Sealing around boot hinges & welded seals at the top of the hatch offside has stopped most water leaks, but not the heavy downpours we have now & then. Water appears where the light fitting in boot is(now removed), car is parked on uphill slope so must come in back of this area.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting similar boot pic!
I have currently removed the light fitting, I find now after some sealing of joints around hinges & top of hatch, still gets wet behind between the top of suspension & the boot box & a few drops of water appear same as your pic. Only happens with a really heavy downpour, so must have changed something as originally was puddles in the boot.
Think I'll try sealing a few more bits to top right & side of hatch. It cannot be rear lights or lower than where the boot light is as I am parking the car on a slope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really interesting that you have the same issue as me, lets keep in touch if we find something that solve this issue.
But it will take some time to find it ............

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will keep in touch, I'll see if my sealing changes anything. Using a watering can & hose pipe with my wife helping to see if any water appeared with hatch open & closed did not cause any water to get in, so yes really odd to find cause. My Alfa garage said was usually around around the rear lights but as I park on a slope up hill I canot see how this could be my cause. Not passed to a garage as they could spend hours & not find anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts