Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see cheap ones and then expensive ones.

Whats the issues to look out for?

I understand its basically a 147 GTA underneath?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Issues to worry about -
Service history - you know the story, cambelts waterpump etc.
Squeaky or knocking suspension - again, you know the issues with the control arms

not that much more to worry about..... essentially the usual 156/147 issues

Mine has been absolutely perfect up to now

Reactions: Guili

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the only niggle I can think of by comparison to 156/147 is the crappy seals on the head light ballasts that fail and then they flood and you cant buy a ballast separately, agent want to sell you a whole head light for a horrifying sum of money.

So if you find one with a dud head light don't assume its a cheap fix, use it to beat the price down something like R15k caus that's about what it will cost to replace a head light.

This is on HID obviously not halogen.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the headlights will be taken apart 1st thing anyway...

·
Registered
446 Posts
the only niggle I can think of by comparison to 156/147 is the crappy seals on the head light ballasts that fail and then they flood and you cant buy a ballast separately, agent want to sell you a whole head light for a horrifying sum of money.

So if you find one with a dud head light don't assume its a cheap fix, use it to beat the price down something like R15k caus that's about what it will cost to replace a head light.

This is on HID obviously not halogen.
Funny you should mention that, mine on the GT went yesterday but there is no leakage, seems electrical, opened it up in the workshop and saw nothing, just smelled electrical. When I phoned the agent I asked him:'how much for the ballast alone and he kept asking "what is ballast, what is ballast" so I explained it to him even in Afrikaans"hoeveel kos die ballas, die ballas verstaan jy nie :)

Anyway, turns out they can order it for me at R 950, which isn't cheap but better than them forcing me to buy the whole light assy.

Things to look out for when considering buying the GT are:

1. Ask if it has the Q2 differential
2. Ask when the last timing belt change/full service was done and if the water pump impeller has been changed to a metal one
3. Odometer readings determine price,usually, with a full service record.30-40k would be very good, in the 80 90k range good and above 100k it flattens out drastically. A good or very good GT, stock, 30-40k on the clock will easily go for 150k + and the up to 90k'ers nothing less than 100k

·
Registered
80 Posts
To add to the list of Aramis

4. Check the side skirts and make sure they did not get damaged/squashed e.g. from workshop lifts. Its a common problem zone. Damage here is difficult to fix and will eventually lead to rust problems (in salty Europe very fast)
5. Regarding headlights, the xenon headlights option seem to be the better choice.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yeah the headlights will be taken apart 1st thing anyway...
yea the ballast is mounted to the underside of the headlight. Drown the connector in silicone when done.

Anyway, turns out they can order it for me at R 950, which isn't cheap but better than them forcing me to buy the whole light assy.
mate, just be careful. This is not a normal HID ballast. You can't order a normal retrofit ballast for aftermarket HID kit and gooi. This thing has a multipin connection (12 pin I think) coming from the cars CANBUS body computer. It does the auto levelling based on inputs from sensors on each corner measuring suspension compression etc etc etc.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yea the ballast is mounted to the underside of the headlight. Drown the connector in silicone when done.

mate, just be careful. This is not a normal HID ballast. You can't order a normal retrofit ballast for aftermarket HID kit and gooi. This thing has a multipin connection (12 pin I think) coming from the cars CANBUS body computer. It does the auto levelling based on inputs from sensors on each corner measuring suspension compression etc etc etc.
Yeah I know, I am ordering from Alfa dealership directly, these are not aftermarket HID's but the Alfa came out with them so it's original Alfa headlights with Bosch ballasts but of course Bosch don't have them. I also think the guy at Alfa misunderstood completely, he took my vin and checked "ja, die klein aluminium boxie under die lig, ja ja, ek weet.

Let's see.

Oh, just for interests sake, does anyone have a good condition second hand ballast?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Yeah I know, I am ordering from Alfa dealership directly, these are not aftermarket HID's but the Alfa came out with them so it's original Alfa headlights with Bosch ballasts but of course Bosch don't have them. I also think the guy at Alfa misunderstood completely, he took my vin and checked "ja, die klein aluminium boxie under die lig, ja ja, ek weet.

Let's see.

Oh, just for interests sake, does anyone have a good condition second hand ballast?
DO you maybe have a part number you can share?
I'm sure this will save some a good few thousand.

·
Registered
446 Posts
DO you maybe have a part number you can share?
I'm sure this will save some a good few thousand.
I used whats on the box, 307329096 but it's a Bosch number, D2S/D2R/D1S/D1R, 35W, there are plenty on ebay but still expensive, any local guys selling one? Maybe from a scrapped GT?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
R950 for a new one! Flip I wouldn't complain at that price.

I paid more than that to import a second hand one from a scrap dealer in Bulgaria. And I still havnt built up the courage to strip the bumper and install it.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, did certain GT models come from factory with the Q2??? Other than the diesel Q2...

So I cannot put an HID kit if I fond one without xenons???

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi Lance
I got mine on around 35k and sold at 161k period of around 5 years
Major issues I had was
Radiator leaking replaced
New clutch at 120k
New thermostat
3 batteries !
front disks 140k
Lots of tires !
Lots of Fuel !
around 4 CV joints cant actually remember could be more and probably 10 CV boots
Needed front suspension was noisy from around 150k

Good luck

·
Registered
446 Posts
R950 for a new one! Flip I wouldn't complain at that price.

I paid more than that to import a second hand one from a scrap dealer in Bulgaria. And I still havnt built up the courage to strip the bumper and install it.
Thats what I mean, the guy at Alfa probably didn't understand me...will confirm today and post here.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts